Export changes scale

J.M.W

I am working with Landmark, and it is crucial that the scale of the final printed doc. is accurate. However when I export to jpg in order to email to my printers, the printed plans come back slightly out of scale - 100cm becomes 90cm. I have tried exporting to practically every format and have the same problem. I open and save the jpg as a Photoshop jpg, because my printer can't read the original jpg and have also tried Illustrator.

Having had no response in the Landmark forum, I am hoping someone holds the key out there?

I would suggest that instead of exporting a JPG for your printers to print from, try printing as a pdf. If you are on a Mac then printing to pdf is easy,, if you are on a windows machine then you need a pdf printer which I think has been talked about on another part of this list...

http://www.go2pdf.com/products.html

http://www.iteksoft.com/

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=pdf+printer&tg=dl-2001

Only one problem with the print to PDF option in OS X - the result is absolute rubbish.

I was severely embarrassed with a client using this option. I sent the results to a client without first checking them - despite setting the print output option in VW to 300 DPI the result was absolutely awful - I naively thought that setting the print output option in VW would ensure a good result in the PDF output.

Haven't Apple conned us there - to get a good PDF result you have to invest in Acrobat professional.

I was surprised to see that 'learner' says that the problem with PDF is that the file is too big. From my experience this is usually only a problem where there are embedded images. Otherwise the PDF files are substantially smaller than the drawing file.

The easy solution to the problem is to give your printer a copy of VectorWorks Viewer and get him to print direct from the file.

And by the way there is no point zipping a PDF file - the PDF file is already compressed and zipping it will in fact make it larger!

Hi Mike,

I am setting the resolution to 300 in the export image option, which gives great quality. Then I paste back the doc dimensions - I also have embedded images, which may explain the enormity of some of my documents.

Thanks for the information re pdf and zip.

As an extra thought is there any way to change the dpi to 300 as default, since the 72 is such crap?

I will send my printers the VW reader - thanks for that ; presumably I can zip a VW file.