Aligning Models Across Consultants (Revit)

Jack2022

There is absolutely no excuse. Setting up your project with a project origin, and for that project origin to be persistent throughout a project is so easy. 

Almost all the problems we encounter are precisely because there is no project origin or 'origin strategy' as someone with too much time on their hands called it.

You don't need someone to work with to set the project origin. 

You don't even need any CAD data. 

Fortunately it is infinitely easier to move a model in Vectorworks than Revit, but even still, set the origin at the beginning and forget about it. 

The origin is not just for VW and Revit... It's there to ensure all models, irrespect of which softwares are used on the project, are coordinated.

• Like 1

Shorter,

you are often eager to post your thoughts on the wider principles of BIM coordination which in the right forum is very useful. However on all my threads where you do comment you don't actually offer the answer to the question. No-one is disputing the need for a robust BEP and BIM process however all my posts have been asking for is HOW to change/set the drawing internal origin in VW so I can align to the shared coordinates provided in the BEP we have received from the client BIM coordinator. The BIM coordinator doesn't use VW so they cannot help me. 

The question was very basic and the answer was relatively simple - using the geolocate tool or use the lat long coords in document set-up. Very hard to extract the answer from the internet though. 

“the need for a robust BEP and BIM process” IS THE ANSWER!!!!

the words ‘bolted’ ‘horse’ and ‘after’ come to mind.

to coordinate properly, correctly, your data MUST be in the right place.

Physically move it.  Don’t try to ‘cheat’ by applying a user origin or geo-referencing system if your model is not in the right place to begin with.

is that clear enough?  It may not be the answer you want to hear but it will stop these endless cries for help.

🤦‍♂️ But HOW do you set up a new drawing to do what you say. 

You're not explaining anything I don't already know. We have existing projects where the 'horse has bolted' but we also have new projects coming up where we want to avoid retro-correcting models. As I said many times I am not disputing the need for correct document set-up.....BUT HOW!? That's what I'm on the forum for. I can't find a step by step guide on the internet. 

I have all the information needed from the BIM coordinator and lead consultant. HOW do I use it in VW?

We are used to 2D drawing in AutoCAD where 0,0 is British National Grid 0,0 and as a landscape architect we draw in real space, where the topo imports, then move the architect's building from 0,0 (where it's normally drawn) to the real space location. However in BIM this doesn't work as everything needs to be the same across different practices and softwares and modelling far from the Internal Origin creates problems. Hence wanting to know how to set up a drawing where the internal origin is somewhere else and the same for all (the shared project coordinates). 

The energy expended to get an answer is utterly disheartening and torturous. I feel like I'm being trolled by unhelpful lectures. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Jack2022 said:

Or a practical solution offered would help recover it? 

it won’t help, it has been tried many times over multiple threads.  You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make them drink…

ex:

My other suggestion was deleted, presumably by the moderator.

Edited by jeff prince
  • JuanP locked this topic