glow on lens best settings

Ben3B

What are your settings for the best lens rendering ?

Is a way to simulate flare ?

is a way for the light source come from the all lens ?

Here is the best I can do in vectorworks

image.thumb.png.5d18e65b96807e13f3f21bdef3041130.png

in WYG for exemple as you can see the beam come from the all lens,and flare is simulate 

image.png.8e83b831508c5d02e233debc988c42c2.png

1161472489_Camera-01-14-03-202214-57-55.thumb.png.98bb022da749a9a84826f42b816d2fb6.png

And here what I can do with twinmotion

It take time because I've to change all the lens texture, give a neon texture with the same color as the beam but it works well

image.thumb.png.bbbf6c1ecf6eb87dd1672c71d5ab5c77.png

Edited by Ben59
2 hours ago, TomWhiteLight said:

You will get more realistic results in Vision and if you are on VSS or subscription you will get 4 universes for free.

Yes but I'm looking for a quicker way, if possible inside VWX 

Because I'm a wysiwyg user since r26, when I really need it I rent a license (but it is very expensive 😉 )

I'm trying in twinmotion because I've a license with vectorworks, and the direct link works well, and the texture and assets are very nice, Vision isn't good enough in my opinion.

The time I loose to pass thru vision isn't win  with the result, but it is in twinmotion when you dont need dynamics light , and in wyg for dynamic lighting .

I had forgotten this document...

One question because of the setting 

image.png.54c712e8ba2534bef7faa98cfdf542d6.png

We can't have different glow texture  per fixture type who take the color object ? I have the problem for multilens fixture ...

🙂

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

LED Batten/striplight Glow is not supported yet. I often add the glow texture to some geometry and use class control to effectively turn striplights on and off. 

We are improving this workflow and we are listening to your requirements, In the 2023 release you can now run way more than 8 lights in shaded mode. We will be continuing to improve shaded mode to support lighting devices.

@markdd had a fantastic idea to use data vis to add lens glow to lighting devices, this can be seen in action in the parasolid webinar on the university.

• Like 1

I just test that settings, may I missed somethings, or it don't works with the spotlight class and color preference.

In my default settings i edit all lighting fixture and give the same class for all lens object and say to vector to use the color field for that class...

With the datavis explain in "paranormal", you just just say to fixture who use lens part to take a texture but not to take a class , so the setting for the lens follow the color of the beam don't works...  

image.png.d5cac4d185eb91d837768afc4c291b8d.png

Edited by Ben59

Just playing with this.

So the modify lighting device colour does not affect the 3d geometry which we need it to. 

Have created class and assigned geometry in symbol as you did.

I noticed that the lens geometry has the default instrument texture applied, please remove this.

The glow texture that you create must also be set to receive its colour from its object attribute.

Here is a file...

Coloured lens and more.vwx

• Like 1

Just playing with this.

So the modify lighting device colour does not affect the 3d geometry which we need it to. 

I noticed that the lens geometry has the default instrument texture applied, please remove this.

The glow texture that you create must also be set to receive its colour from its object attribute.

Here is a file...

Coloured lens and more.vwx 389.75 kB · 0 downloads

@TomWhiteLight thanks for clarifying the issues at hand here. 

• Like 1
On 11/1/2022 at 2:28 PM, TomWhiteLight said:

Oh yes it works ( after some bad luck, you know murphy's theory ? 🤣 )

I tested with the first fixture I've found , one have no lens in drawing and the second have no part lens attached ... So after fix it it works!!!

I think it is faster than edit all fixture and record it ...

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...
On 11/1/2022 at 6:28 AM, TomWhiteLight said:

Just playing with this.

Here is a file...

Coloured lens and more.vwx 389.75 kB · 15 downloads

I don't understand how anything is working in this file.

Lens geometry Class is set to Lens but Render tab is set to None.

None class has no attributes / textures.

Lens class no attributes / textures.

But lens render works perfectly when editing color in the Lighting Device. What the heck is going on here?

• Like 1

@Mark Aceto I also don't understand how the lens is getting a texture in this file.  The render pane says texture is set to None.  I don't see any face overrides, but the object still acts as if it has the lens glow texture assigned.  Turning ambient up and down has no effect on the lens geometry.  I converted to group and ungrouped until I go to the generic solid lens.

• 5 weeks later...

Im still pretty confused by this. In an old template I used to be able to just edit 3D component of a symbol, ungroup the objects, select the lens and apply a renderworks texture. That texture being a premade "glowing" lens. Either the values or definitions of glow/glass/transparency have changed or theres just features that have been moved or made easier than my work around because I can still apply the texture, but it now doesn't pass light through or really "glow" its just colored. Any one tried that way with any luck?