Attaching a Single Motor to an Audio Array

I swear that this works/breaks every other release.   I think it might have even worked with 2023 SP0,   but with 2023 SP1 it doesn't work.    It shows the red smart attachment point just like every other motor.    I would think this would be one of the easier things to get working consistently in the complicatedness that is braceworks.    It doesn't matter if I snap the motor to the bumper....

1990076174_MotortoPA.thumb.gif.892ec2657ae2742f0f298e7e098cb452.gif

Or bring the bumper to the motor:

1849287277_PAtoMotor.thumb.gif.3fcaccc750a82eccbae6484974249439.gif

Either way,  i get this:

image.thumb.png.646618d88e126dc1b7f6c05c0385e95c.png

We are 5 years in to Braceworks and it's still doing stuff like this.   Help!

Edited by Wesley Burrows

I have Issues with the Audio Array Tool and Motors all the time with this exact problem. No amount of restarts will fix this.

Using Symbols compounds the Problems because when the Bumpers and Speakers are imported from the manufacturers. 

Vectorworks Does not apply a Filter to make sure the Dimensions of the Objects are in the correct Units.

There are a tremendous number of speakers and bumper symbols that have the Dimensions in Feet instead of mm.

So, you have to manually go edit the Record attached to the symbol and add "mm" to the Number in the fields to get the Size of the object to be correct.

I have reported this error for 3-4 years in a row and NO ONE CARES! 

If they cannot be bothered to fix such simple errors, I refuse to hold my breath for them to fix the More Major Issues of you cannot attach a motor to the Array.

I submitted the error for not attaching motors correct with a File supporting the problem less than a month ago again.

maybe in VW2025?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Wesley

I've had a look at your file and it looks like there are 2 issues that combined are causing the problem.

The first is a known bug where if the bumper has a hanging angle hoists will not correctly attach to it.

The second is also bumper related, I'm not sure if this is a works as designed or a new bug but using any option other than 'Symbol' 'Default Bumper' icauses Braceworks to give the error message that the speakers are not properly supported.

To fix your arrays, change the bumper to to use the symbol option and  choose the default bumper symbol, then change the bumper angle to 0°
hit the update button in the array properties and reattach the hoists.
You should then be able to calculate the arrays

• Like 1
On 10/19/2022 at 7:07 AM, jcogdell said:

Hi Wesley

I've had a look at your file and it looks like there are 2 issues that combined are causing the problem.

The first is a known bug where if the bumper has a hanging angle hoists will not correctly attach to it.

The second is also bumper related, I'm not sure if this is a works as designed or a new bug but using any option other than 'Symbol' 'Default Bumper' icauses Braceworks to give the error message that the speakers are not properly supported.

To fix your arrays, change the bumper to to use the symbol option and  choose the default bumper symbol, then change the bumper angle to 0°
hit the update button in the array properties and reattach the hoists.
You should then be able to calculate the arrays

Thank you!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

@Peter Telleman
Can you post the file so I can take a look

Also there is good news for anyone using L-Acoustics Sound Vision for audio calculations, they announced thheir Spotlight plug in at ISE last week. This will enable you to send your Spotlight file directly to Sound Vision, since this is the first version it goes from Spotlight to Sound Vision but they are planning to make it possible to send data back to Spotlight in the future.

Ahh this is standard behavior,
The issue is that if you drag and drop a symbol from the resource manager into your design you are only inserting it as a dumb symbol, instead double click on the symbol in the resource manager and it will activate the relavent insertion tool.

I got a demo of the L-Acoustics plugin a couple of weeks back and its looking really good. We're actively working with several other audio companies as well to add more options for working with audio planning software.