Edit Video Screen lists

NBarnes

13 minutes ago, NBarnes said:

I would like to edit the lists in the drop downs so that I can put things I have in my inventory towards the top.  Specifically, I would like to edit the "Stock Size" and "Lens" lists in the Object Info Pallet.  Where can I find the editable versions of those items?

2 things:

1. Do not change the format of any text you edit.  If you do, your tool(s) may not work and you may have to reinstall Vectorworks to get things working again.  So...proceed with caution.
  2. Any edits you make will be over-written the next time you install a Vectorworks update/service pack.

Open the Plug-in Manager ([Tools][Plug-in Manager]).

Click on the "Built-in Plug-ins" tab."

Scroll down until you get to the "Video Screen" item.  Select it and click on the "Customize..." button.

Click on the "Parameters" tab.

Scroll down until you get to the Parameter you want to edit, select it, and click the "Edit..." button.  (Different screen aspects are stored in each of the 4 stock screen size Parameters.)

A dialog will open.  Click on the "Choices..." button.  You will then be given a dialog showing the list you want to edit.

When you're done "OK" out until you get back to the Plug-in Manger and click "Close."

I hope this helps...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, C. Andrew Dunning said:

2 things:

1. Do not change the format of any text you edit.  If you do, your tool(s) may not work and you may have to reinstall Vectorworks to get things working again.  So...proceed with caution.
  2. Any edits you make will be over-written the next time you install a Vectorworks update/service pack.

Scroll down until you get to the "Video Screen" item.  Select it and click on the "Customize..." button.

Scroll down until you get to the Parameter you want to edit, select it, and click the "Edit..." button.  (Different screen aspects are stored in each of the 4 stock screen size Parameters.)

A dialog will open.  Click on the "Choices..." button.  You will then be given a dialog showing the list you want to edit.

When you're done "OK" out until you get back to the Plug-in Manger and click "Close."

I hope this helps...

Or... correct me if I'm wrong, follow the same procedure with the Landru tools that live in the User Folder, and the edits won't be replaced with subsequent installs of VW.

• Like 2
On 10/14/2022 at 12:47 AM, C. Andrew Dunning said:

2 things:

I hope this helps...

Is there any way to push this to workgroup? Then all workgroup members could have inventory sizes available.

On 10/21/2022 at 8:02 PM, C. Andrew Dunning said:

As-formatted, the lens options, no.  But...with the Landru Design versions of the tools, things like tvs, projectors, and stands are chosen using the Resource Selector system, which IS Workgroup-aware.

Think we just found a chink in the armor with my plan to move from User Folder to Workgroup Library. Custom lensing isn't a dealbreaker but now I'm a little worried about what else won't be Workgroup-aware (along with Braceworks-aware and ConnectCAD-aware). VW really needs to be more self-aware.

• Laugh 1

To be fair, ConnectCAD is mostly workgroup aware, obliviously there is/has been some bumps. Most things (connectors, devices, signal types etc.) you could place on proper places on workgroup folders and then they populate right menus etc. Sometimes you just have to find right place to store things. As usual in VW not all are documented and presented to users. And now I speak experience from past versions, no idea what current v23 has brought along. Generally @Conrad Preen and @Nikolay Zhelyazkov and rest of their team does great job to get things to work with workgroup. And if something is not working usually you just have to make your point and they will listen and develop things the way user will use tools. Keep up the good work!

It is also strange that Video Screen and Television tool does not use workgroup folder as source for symbols with correct records. Workgroup folders include all the right folders as default, but the tools don't populate lists from there. If you import symbol with records to file you are working, tools can pick up symbols from there but not from workgroup.

My two cents, Stock Lens options should be workgroup aware because those are same for everyone in team. It's just silly trying to keep multiple versions of file up to date by hand.

• Like 3