place custom symbol with a single click

yasin2ray

Question

7 answers to this question

There is no way to do that using the standard symbol insertion tool.

If you double click to insert instead of single click (and actually don't move the mouse between the two clicks) you get the functionality you want.

If this is something you really want, I would make a new post in the Wishlist forum to have an additional mode added to the Symbol Insertion tool.

If this is something that you absolutely can't live another minute without, it could probably be scripted. The hard part would be to get the symbol selection pulldown to show in the Mode bar with the tool selected.

• Like 2

More similar workarounds -

Place the first with dbl click symbol insertion.  For the next one(s), Move by Points, with 1 duplicate.

Or Duplicate in Place any instance already on the drawing then drag or Move by Points (no dupes).

Or make a stack of multiple instances or a swarm (Duplicate Array? Move by Points w/ many dupes?) in some convenient location and just grab/drag one when needed. Delete any extras later.

Agree would be better if single click for symbols needing no rotation.

But I would want this to be smart behavior, maybe with a warning, rather than needing to toggle modes for rotate/not rotate.

Otherwise could be a tripping hazard (for me anyway) - Insert with the tool, expect to need the rotation click, make the rotation click, thereby unintentionally insert another, delete the new one . . .

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
Holding breath underwater
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, yasin2ray said:

This has become my go-to, thank you!

Although, because I am a single-screener (laptop) and prefer my RM to be on the larger side, even tho the RM is set to 'hide' when mouse moves away, it seems not to hide when dragging a resource, so I often drop then item not where I want it. Then the RM hides.

On 11/5/2022 at 11:09 AM, mjm said:

Although, because I am a single-screener (laptop) and prefer my RM to be on the larger side, even tho the RM is set to 'hide' when mouse moves away, it seems not to hide when dragging a resource, so I often drop then item not where I want it. Then the RM hides.

I hear you. I set up my screen to show what I need to see to the left of where the RM window will drop down.

• Like 1