VWX 2022>2023 fixtures seen as Static Accessory

mjm

Thanks all.

I selected via SL find/modify all the fixtures w/ device type static accessory & changed device type to light, thinking I can then just replace them thru the PIO but as you can see they remain a static accessory to VWX. So, deleted all those fixtures & replaced by hand. 

All these symbols came straight from the RB ETC folder.

I am quite stymied, as this has been an irregular occurrence, but seems to happen way too often.

Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 12.25.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 12.24.52 PM.png

One thing to check:

Go into Spotlight Settings, and then parameters.

Find the symbol name, instrument type, and device type rows. 

Make sure there is a check mark in the accessory column. This tells Spotlight that Lighting devices and their accessories should have discrete data for these fields. 

I had a few files that, when unconverted, had the instrument type unchecked, which caused all sorts of issues when adding or converting accessories. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
27 minutes ago, JBenghiat said:

One thing to check:

Go into Spotlight Settings, and then parameters.

Find the symbol name, instrument type, and device type rows. 

Make sure there is a check mark in the accessory column. This tells Spotlight that Lighting devices and their accessories should have discrete data for these fields. 

I had a few files that, when unconverted, had the instrument type unchecked, which caused all sorts of issues when adding or converting accessories. 

Thank you @JBenghiat. Attached is a screen shot of the Spotlight Preferences window showing the Instrument Type & Device Type checked.2018315794_ScreenShot2022-10-13at2_14_28PM.thumb.png.20314e320f2ec43d31c262c1f5825ae9.png

Not spending much time in this window before, I note the Accessory column is checked on almost every parameter.

• Dislike 1

SL Prefs can also be migrated from one year to the next but I haven't tested for caveats.

For stuff like this, I'm building a "preflight checklist" for manually migrating new versions -- just a simple To Do or Note in whatever app -- because there's no way I can remember all of this minutia from year to year.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Bump. (oh wait—if you don't like drama, skip to the {almost} happy ending)

@klinzey @Rob Books

This issue has randomly raised its ugly head again. In the Light Information Panel they're correctly recognized as Lighting Devices.1162543549_Screenshot2022-11-03at5_44_21PM.thumb.png.f60f04b5958f4bc3270b4ae99cefac8a.png

However in the OIP, they think they're C-Clamps.

2143338502_Screenshot2022-11-03at5_43_27PM.png.80f304c81be543cf6f286aefeee1f8fd.png

(one might think they'd have higher aspirations than C-Clamp… Iris Kit maybe?)

1162543549_Screenshot2022-11-03at5_44_21PM.thumb.png.f60f04b5958f4bc3270b4ae99cefac8a.png

Refreshing the fixtures (CMD+/) = no change. 

Restarting the app, restarting the machine = no joy.

And now they're ok. The only thing done since pulling the screenshots above was to open a blank drawing into which I was gonna paste those fixtures and LX and see if they self-corrected BUT THEY FIXED THEMSELVES, so I never got that far.

OMG #2, It's back again, no rhyme nor reason I can see. 

And gone again and back again: @JBenghiatCheck the movie.

Edited by mjm

@mjmLooking at the screen video, you might just be seeing Savvy Select Similar working as designed. When you hover over a Lighting Device with Accessories, you'll see hot spots for the accessory. In the case of a C-Clamp, it will be right over the origin. The magic wand cursor will also turn blue when you're about to select accessories or cells. Not only will Select Similar detect the cell or accessory, it will also set the OIP to view data for that matching items (in your case all the accessories that match that position).

16 hours ago, JBenghiat said:

@mjmLooking at the screen video, you might just be seeing Savvy Select Similar working as designed. When you hover over a Lighting Device with Accessories, you'll see hot spots for the accessory. In the case of a C-Clamp, it will be right over the origin. The magic wand cursor will also turn blue when you're about to select accessories or cells. Not only will Select Similar detect the cell or accessory, it will also set the OIP to view data for that matching items (in your case all the accessories that match that position).

@JBenghiat—Lol. Ouch 🫢 . Thank you for solving that mystery, & sad I did not find that info in the 'help' or 'here's all the tool can do for you' documentation.

VWX: I apologize to you, you software you (& all the folks who make and upkeep you as well), for accusing you of something which turns out to simply be my lack of knowledge of this piece of software.

Edited by mjm