Associative dimensioning problem, bug?

I'm experiencing an issue with associative dimensioning in viewport annotation. I've always found dimensioning in viewports a bit inconsistent, but this morning I realized the exact issue:

When a wall has any kind of complexity (like wall components T-joining to other wall components as you can see in the video below), associative dimensioning doesn't work with components inside a wall.

This video shows the issue: https://www.loom.com/share/6ec1a3d596dc421e846e68bf6ebb5764

I have associative dimensioning turned on in document preferences, so it's not that. I'm hoping this is user error and someone sees where I'm failing.

Thanks!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
16 hours ago, KIT KOLLMEYER said:

I'm experiencing an issue with associative dimensioning in viewport annotation. I've always found dimensioning in viewports a bit inconsistent, but this morning I realized the exact issue:

When a wall has any kind of complexity (like wall components T-joining to other wall components as you can see in the video below), associative dimensioning doesn't work with components inside a wall.

This video shows the issue: https://www.loom.com/share/6ec1a3d596dc421e846e68bf6ebb5764

I have associative dimensioning turned on in document preferences, so it's not that. I'm hoping this is user error and someone sees where I'm failing.

Thanks!

Can you PM me the file?

On 10/10/2022 at 9:53 AM, Matt Panzer said:

Can you PM me the file?

Hi Kit,

I received your file (thank you) and here are my findings:

This actually looks like a general problem with constrained dimensions.  When a dimension is placed in the annotations constrained to an object from a design layer, it seems to work fine.  However, as soon as I break the constraint by dragging one of the control points for a witness line away from the object, dragging the control point back to the object will not recreate the constraint.  I don't see this problem when placing the dimensions directly on the design layer.

Bug reported (VB-191058)

Here's a short (silent) video of how I recreated the issue dimensioning to a wall or rectangle.  First the video shows how it all works in the design layer (as expected) then it shows the bug when placing the dimensions in the viewport annotations.

Thanks again for sending the file and helping me to recreate the problem!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, KIT KOLLMEYER said:

Thanks Matt,

Wow, you're right. I was also able to recreate the same results. So until the bug is fixed, the solution is to only create new dimensions rather than make adjustments to existing dimension control points.

Yeah.  Not  great solution, I know.  If I can come up with a better one, I'll let you know.

At least we have an easily reproducible case.  Hopefully this can be resolved soon.