What does this mean?

propstuff

I've been trying out VW, & RW11, and went to import the "Metal Corroded", and "Metal Copper Burnished" textures from the Metal, Plastics, Glass file in the Textures folder.

I got this error message:

-The format for Plug-in objects named "Rough*" cannot replace the existing regular Format with that name, and these cannot be renamed. The entire operation is cancelled.-

Other textures from the same file imported ok.

What's going on, and how do I get those textures?

thanks,

N.

Hey Nicholas, by which method did you do the import? I created a simple extrude, then with it still selected I scrolled through the metal, plastic, etc folder and double clicked on each of the textures you mentioned. I had no problem with either one (in other words they "stuck" to my extrude). I wonder if your install was somehow incomplete?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello propstuff:

This is an old problem that was introduced with 10.0.0. The fix is to open your texture library files in 10.5, make some small change (like draw rectangle and delete it) and re-save them (with 10.5). The 10.0.0 files were incorrect and re-saving the texture library files with the newer version fixes the problem with the record formats.

I would recommend re-saving these files with 10.5, then opening and saving them for use in 11.

HTH,

[ 08-24-2004, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Dave Donley ]

Hi Dave,

I tried your suggestion, but not much luck here.

Just to clarify; I'm working in VW/RW11.0.1, trying to import a texture from the files that came in the VW11 textures folder.

I haven't been trying to open VW10 or 10.5 textures.

Doing the change file and resave thing had no effect.

what now?

N.

I think it must have started as a 10.5 file (I've been shuffling back and forth a lot) but it had been resaved under a new name as a VW11 file.

In the interim I had opened a new VW11 file and copied the contents across, and that worked ok, so it seems that was the problem. (the Plug-in format name is embedded in the file?)

For future reference, when I convert my files fully to VW11, how can I get around making a new file for each and copying multiple layers one by one for each file. -Major pain there.

cheers,

N.

[ 08-25-2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: propstuff ]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello propstuff:

You shouldn't have to copy the layers manually to convert to VW 11, my theory is that this file has these formats from the VW 10.0.0 texture library. It should be enough to resave them with 10.5.

If you get another file like this let me know and I'll try to diagnose what exactly is going on.

HTH,