Issue with Roof following Geolocation

b303lmr

Question

Hi everyone, 

We are having a bit of an issue with a file following on from geolocating the project. 

When we started the project we didn't have topographic survey data for us to be able to geolocate the project, so we have spent much of the project working in the ether as it were. 

We have now got the relevant information and geolocated the file following the Vectorworks University video on the topic. 

Everything appeared hunky dory to begin with, but on updating our elevation viewports we have found the all the roof planes have been well and truly muddled. 

The roof lights are showing on the underside of the roof plane and one roof is no longer displaying in viewports at all. I've attached some screenshots as examples of the sort of things that have gone wrong.

1. Sections with broken roof
  2. Sections with correct roof
  3. Link roof missing
  4. Link roof correct
  5. Rooflights on underside of roof
  6. Rooflights correct in roof
  7. Link roof appears in design layer but not in any viewports

I have tried converting the roof planes to unstyled and then back into the correct style in the hopes that it would nudge whatever had gone wrong, but it hasn't solved the problem. 

Unfortunately we are now at a stage where people have worked on the geolocated file and made a number of changes that would make it impractical to simply revert back to a backup file from before the geolocation occurred. 

Has anyone experienced something like this before? 

Anything that can be suggested to help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Overall Broken.png

Overall Correct.png

Roof Correct.png

Roof Missing.png

Rooflights Broken.png

Rooflights Correct.png

Roof Missing appears in design layer.png

Edited by b303lmr

4 answers to this question

I think you should post a file which displays this behaviour for people to look at.

You say you only noticed the problems in the section VPs but presumably if the roofs have doubled in thickness this is noticeable in the model as well? What happens when you edit section in place + select the problem geometry in the VP: what is it telling you in the OIP? Is it the roof style you are expecting? Are the components all as expected?

Georeferencing the file shouldn't have any bearing on something like this as all georeferencing does is move the User Origin (coloured axes + rulers). You need to make sure the Internal Origin (blue cross hairs) is close to your geometry but even if it wasn't the problems this would be causing would be graphical rather than to do with the actual geometry as such. I would investigate exactly what's going on with the geometry (the model).

Someone else may know better

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response.

I've check the OIP and the style and components are as expected. Previously I had a structure component within the roof turned off which is why they appear to have different thicknesses - I can longer turn this on and off as I was doing before in the VP classes dialogue box. 

I've attached comparative files as you suggested. 

Broken File.vwx Normal File.vwx

I have had a v quick look at the broken file + looks like the issue is the georeferencing after all. You have geometry spread all over the place... The internal origin is 620km from your main model plus you have various far out objects. The recommendation is that all geometry is kept within a 5km radius of the internal origin otherwise you'll get issues. So as a first step you should delete the far out objects then centre the drawing on the internal origin. I did this + there are still issues unfortunately - see:

2052912370_Screenshot2022-10-05at09_53_19.thumb.png.e8555afa26c207f1637660f522f5f296.png

But don't have time to investigate further...

When I copy + paste the roof faces into a new blank georeferenced file all is fine:

548524500_Screenshot2022-10-05at09_59_01.thumb.png.dcc6b4f72821a99997dc0141e25a36af.png

• Like 2