White halo around some plants

Looks like the alpha channel (cut out) of the plant could be improved.

Open the graphics used to depict the plant in Photoshop, Affinity Photo, or similar.

• Create a new layer under the current one and fill it with red (this will help see the edge of the plant better).
  • Refine the alpha channel.
  • Delete that red layer mentioned earlier
  • Save as PNG w/alpha channel
  • Bring it back into Vectorworks and replace your plant's graphics as appropriate.

Hope it helps.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

Looks like the alpha channel (cut out) of the plant could be improved.

Open the graphics used to depict the plant in Photoshop, Affinity Photo, or similar.

• Create a new layer under the current one and fill it with red (this will help see the edge of the plant better).
  • Refine the alpha channel.
  • Delete that red layer mentioned earlier
  • Save as PNG w/alpha channel
  • Bring it back into Vectorworks and replace your plant's graphics as appropriate.

Hope it helps.

Thanks, But don't have any of those. They are plant symbols in the VW Library, so I would have thought they wouldn't need any modifying.

2 hours ago, BJRobinson said:

Thanks Everyone.

I tried unselecting the thing in advanced properties. No luck.

I then copied the plants to a blank project and created a viewport so I could post it here. What do you know. No Halo!!

So what is different between the 2 I wonder.

image.png.ca26ce1a72c8e0a123a48d57fea8abd1.png

The halo is still there, you just don't see it against the white background.

1141458881_Screenshot2022-10-08at06_45_01.png.c52dc7ecd9e0dab8ced942b1a04d1f6f.png

I think @jeff prince is correct: that not enough white was converted to transparent when the image was created + the only option is for you to go back + finish the job. Perhaps the issue was the fact that removing more of the white pixels around the perimeter of the plant was also going to the white flowers inside it. You can see some of this has happened already. But this is solved by painting the flowers back in again:

1602327789_Screenshot2022-10-08at07_03_13.thumb.png.7632d458594dcf86181f26ef447e5526.png

See: Halo Plant v2022.vwx

• Like 3
On 10/8/2022 at 5:10 PM, Tom W. said:

The halo is still there, you just don't see it against the white background.

1141458881_Screenshot2022-10-08at06_45_01.png.c52dc7ecd9e0dab8ced942b1a04d1f6f.png

I think @jeff prince is correct: that not enough white was converted to transparent when the image was created + the only option is for you to go back + finish the job. Perhaps the issue was the fact that removing more of the white pixels around the perimeter of the plant was also going to the white flowers inside it. You can see some of this has happened already. But this is solved by painting the flowers back in again:

1602327789_Screenshot2022-10-08at07_03_13.thumb.png.7632d458594dcf86181f26ef447e5526.png

See: Halo Plant v2022.vwx

Thanks everyone for your help. I don't have the software to do this. I will just have to not use these images in the future.

2 hours ago, BJRobinson said:

Thanks everyone for your help. I don't have the software to do this. I will just have to not use these images in the future.

If you need a good photo program and run a Mac or IPad, I highly recommend Affinity Photo.  It’s powerful, inexpensive, and a perpetual license.  I like the iPad version best and use it with the pencil.  Worth the small investment and time to get up to speed with it if you have any photo editing or traditional rendering needs.

• Like 1

I looked at Affinity Photo but choose Pixelmator Pro. Can't remember why. But was similarly inexpensive/perpetual. And an invaluable addition to the VW workflow when creating textures, decals, image props, etc. In my opinion many of the resources in the VW libraries should be considered as examples or starting points + the program really comes into its own when you begin creating your own + a photo program is essential for doing this.

• Like 2

I started with Pixelmator long ago and it is perfect and easy to use for my seldom use.

I also bought into Affinity Photo but I found it far more complex, less intuitive and

more steep learning curve.

But of course the go to for any Photoshop avoiders.

Nevertheless, if I get that right @BJRobinson is a Windows user, so no Pixelmator for him.

I would recommend free open source image App GIMP.

And searching for a few video tutorials, just related to his few needed tasks.

• Like 1
On 10/15/2022 at 3:28 PM, jeff prince said:

If you need a good photo program and run a Mac or IPad, I highly recommend Affinity Photo.  It’s powerful, inexpensive, and a perpetual license.  I like the iPad version best and use it with the pencil.  Worth the small investment and time to get up to speed with it if you have any photo editing or traditional rendering needs.

Nah, Sorry, I use a PC. Thanks anyway.