Window/ Door in Wall Issue

Midehow

Hi, 

I am running into some issues after upgrading my Vectorworks from 2022 to 2023. I am trying to lower the ceiling height on the second floor. The roof disappears and the windows/ doors are no longer opening when I try to lower the ceiling. Even when I try to insert the windows back, they won't open again. 
Another thing I noticed is that I can no longer add more than one window to a wall section without the windows being closed. I added some screenshots so hopefully someone can help me.

974440049_ScreenShot2022-09-30at3_14_28PM.thumb.png.7d4f3679e35fd23fd14d2af84f09ee8c.png550479355_ScreenShot2022-09-30at3_15_18PM.thumb.png.029e983507af7d1ab83bbbccdaa9d53c.png167261692_ScreenShot2022-09-30at3_15_47PM.thumb.png.200748ace0dfb997181bd42ba6c1b6f3.png1403598563_ScreenShot2022-09-30at3_26_23PM.thumb.png.82ba37333c639c2a879f6fd171f67c02.png1989705364_ScreenShot2022-09-30at3_26_48PM.thumb.png.cc87a8f7e2f1d29f67a01c3a9638758a.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 3.26.48 PM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Midehow,

Do you have a file that you can send me where the problem can be reproduced?  What I’m looking for is a file and series of steps that will cause a correct window hole to fill in.  I have files where they’re already filled in but we need to be able to cause it to happen to figure out what’s going on.

• 5 months later...

This has been happening to my files off and on too, and the workarounds don't always help. The most reliable is Tools > Utilities > Reset Plug-ins, but even that has done nothing on occasion. It's almost as if there are a few different reasons why "blocked in" windows occur and certain solutions only work for specific causes. 

I’ve been having this happen often and the only reliable fix, at least for me, is to:

1. quit Vw
  2. restart Vw
  3. open the file
  4. move one of the affected windows by 0,0. 

Tools -> Utilities-> Reset all Plug-ins has not always worked for me, but the above has worked.

Supposedly it will be fixed with Vw2023 SP4 which I read is being released next week.

Here’s another thread discussing this bug at length:

Edited by rDesign

I'm having a problem with doors and windows too - do you think it's related or something I'm doing wrong?

I have a building in one file, which I copied into another file using layer import.

In the original the doors and windows worked properly.

In the new file, when I select and move the whole building most of the doors and windows don't move. Moving them individually to the new location doesn't work either.

It looks like this after the move:

image.png.ab391283d162339af6a94351bd0021d2.png

Hi,

I keep having to deal with this bug often. 

From what I could tell, Matt Panzer had the programming team looking into this.

Over the last few months, I started paying more attention to what is making this happen in my files. 

I can't speak for other users....

Below are a few things that make the windows in walls go nuts - or the walls nutty in my files. Pick one.

1.  I often copy walls with windows and doors associated within the drawing. It's quicker for me.

If a wall has windows in it - after I use the copy command the windows will no longer be cutting through the walls.

Same thing would happen when a wall would be moved with the move command.

2. Selecting the walls and dragging them to a location would create the same conditions with windows cutting through a wall 

One way I was able to fix this.  Not a 100 percent but works well enough.

Before moving or copying walls I would unjoin the walls with the wall breaks tool and proceed to copy or move.

Don't know if this is a good fix for others but it works well enough with my workflow.

Observation;

Using the remove wall brakes tool will cause the offending windows not cutting through walls to disappear.

This would suggest that the walls don't know what they associated with and loose all associated cuts and doors info.

Don't know if it's a proper fix 

Kind regards to all :- )

For me it is a miracle.

Over so many years some asked for no new features (VW has a lot of features ...)

until the existing tools are free oof critique ....

And it is only 4 years or so that any existing VW Tools sees some improvement.

Beside lots of new features. But the features of last 2-3 versions where

really welcome.

And in the past it was always that a SP3 makes VW more stable usable than SP 0-2.

But since 3 years or so I experience that VW SP 0-1 work quite flawlessly, even

on a new or even Beta macOS, but following SP's make the experience worse ?