Revit Import Issues

lisagravy

Question

Any issues with importing Revit files? 

I've tried both importing directly and importing as a reference, and each time the import (progress bar) just crashes my entire machine, so I need to manually pull the plug and restart.

Not sure if I'm missing a trick with the import options, (settings below) or if it's my processing power, or the revit file itself? (54.7MB)

I have a BIM workshop with the rest of the design team this afternoon, and it's not a great start that I can't open their file! 🙈

Any quick fix tips would much appreciated @Katarina Ollikainen@Tamsin Slatter ?? 

Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 10.11.39.png

Edited by lisagravy
Added screenshot

11 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Hans-Olav said:

Importing and exporting Revit files are slow and processor demanding , I would recommend using IFC format for coordination.

Thanks, I thought this might be the case - I can ask them for an IFC, but it's a bit embarrassing when we've already said our software can import / export Revit directly...

• Like 1

IFC is the standard format for coordination. Usually it is good habit to try out different formats in the beginning of each project. Some engineers prefer DWG others IFC and there are lots of options in each export for what is exported. I usually send them some options to choose from.

In the dialog in your first post, did you try to uncheck the topography? Maybe importing only parts of the model in a blank file will work. You could later reference or copy them together. 

Also solid instead of mesh is worth a try. Always import to a empty file not in your main drawing.

I'll send you it @Katarina Ollikainen- but we've had a bit of a troubleshoot this morning and noted we can import it in 2022 pretty easily, so might be an issue with 2023 😭

@Hans-Olav- I know and agree IFC is standard format for co-ordination - just most of the consultants we work with use Revit, so it's a big selling point to them working with us if they don't have to import/export different formats. 

@lisagravyI'm following as a long time VW user (since 1995) who has engineers using Revit. I haven't figured out a good way to transfer yet - with no way to check it before I send it. I still use DWG (flat CAD) methods for my engineers - export to them. I'll model some ductwork and other items to show in my sections for coordination, but it would be so cool to go back and forth. What am I missing?

My engineers tell me that exporting to Revit doesn't give them anything useful. IFC hasn't been too successful either.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, leecalisti said:

IFC hasn't been too successful either.

IFC, unfortunately is just an export for showing and documentation.

Unfortunately not meant for real collaboration.

There are newer ideas that concentrate on more on collaboration,

e.g Speckle. Maybe VW will offer support one day and thinks may

get easier and more reliable .....

• Like 1

@leecalisti I use https://viewer.autodesk.com/ to check before sending - find this quite useful for 2D flat CAD DWG too. 

Will keep you posted on our foray into Revit compatibility for this project. The import issue I was having above seems to be a 2023 bug, but I share your uncertainties on the best way to go back and forth with Revit users - we are trying to bottom it out here!! 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, leecalisti said:

I'd be eager to learn about other methods if you hear of them.

For me the Speckle approach is to totally right and the way to go

in general. But so far it looks like there is still a long way to go for

them. Especially on the Mac side and even more on Apple ARM.

But I think these are solvable issues.

So my experience currently isn't that great on Mac.

So do not expect to integrate it in your workflow and everything

is fine 🙂

But what I heard through the grape wine, there will be some news

on October 31 for support of my other CAD App.

Which will finally make my portfolios second App beside Blender

to finally go deeper into testing.

Direct loading option to stream up IFCs was not so convincing

with my demo files and stream it back into Blender. Importing

into Blender is much better.

But if Speckle will improve and finally allow me to "collaborate"

with the Apps that I use and lossless switch between Vectorworks,

my other CAD, Blender and Unreal (better Twinmotion) would be

a great improvement for my workflow.

Just that I do not think that my client's clients would ever install

a Speckle Connector on their Revit - just to support me.