Sigh - texture mapping

Mapping textures with VW 11 is a nightmare. I have just spent 1/2 hour trying to apply a simple cylinder mapping with the atribute mapping tool as well as with the mapping dialogue, and I did not succeed.

The former mapping tools were kinda clumsy, but this beats anything.

Please Nemetchek: Fix it.

A good suggestion would be an option to orient the map relative to the view in use when the mapping dialogue is invoked.

But simply getting the rotate tools to work as they are supposed to would go a long way.

Sorry for the ranting tone, but I am fairly pissed.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Kaare:

I'm sorry to hear that. What orientation are you trying to get on your object? The same tools are available in the Edit Mapping dialog as they were in VW 10, the offset and rotate tools work the same way if you hold down the control/command key.

The Object Info palette widgets and the Attribute Mapping tool are only modifying the 2D Modifiers, as shown in the Edit Mapping dialog. If you want to change the 3D placement or orientation of the texture space you have to use the Edit Mapping dialog's tools.

>the offset and rotate tools work the same way if you hold down the control/command key.

Thanks for the tip. I really should read the instructions before I come in here barking...

To save face: When I change the mapping from perimeter to plane or cylinder, the initial orientation of the map is often such, that I cannot flip or rotate it into correct position using the buttons or entry fields, even if it is off by 90?, ? because these control only the x/y orientation.

So the suggestion to orient the initial map relative to the view used in the workspace is still valid. Alternatively the flip/rotate buttons could be supplemented with a button, that rotates the texture on the third axis.