Alternatives to Landmark?

Jeff Prince

I just got done watching an ASLA presentation on FOREground, an add on to Revit for landscape architecture.

I rue the day I have to manage a Revit based team again, especially with that add-on.

So, I thought it might be interesting to discuss what software alternatives to Landmark are currently in the marketplace for creating landscape architecture documentation, not necessarily replacing all of the functionality of Landmark.  What have you used or seen?  Any thoughts?

• AutoCAD LT, BricsCAD (CAD, no landscape specific tools)
  • AutoCAD + LandFX
  • Revit + LandFX (in beta)
  • Revit + FOREground by Parallax
  • Revit + Environment
  • Rhino + Lands Design
  • Rhino + Land Kit
  • Blender + ???

The interesting thing about Rhino is Grasshopper(Marionette on steroids) and community supporting it.  The things happening around Rhino remind me a lot of 3rd party developers for AutoCAD back in the day, but now with the power of the internet facilitating rapid collaboration.

• Like 1

About this matter, I would say:

Revit + Plugin: $2,675 + the plugin (at least one...), every year... The cost is substantial. Revit is the standard but Autodesk doesn't look at Landscape Architecture at all and having to use plugins is a heavy cost to support altogether. 

Rhino: I see something here, the parametric design is much stronger with Grasshopper than Marionette... Vectorworks should look carefully to this or it can loose marker.

Blender: No experience with the software.

• Like 1
On 9/29/2022 at 1:29 AM, jpccrodrigues said:

About this matter, I would say:

Revit + Plugin: $2,675 + the plugin (at least one...), every year... The cost is substantial. Revit is the standard but Autodesk doesn't look at Landscape Architecture at all and having to use plugins is a heavy cost to support altogether. 

Rhino: I see something here, the parametric design is much stronger with Grasshopper than Marionette... Vectorworks should look carefully to this or it can loose marker.

Blender: No experience with the software.

Long ago, I used Rhino for several years and really enjoyed it.  I'm hoping to find some time to investigate these landscape add ons.

There seems to be great potential for it, especially the rapid development of schematic design and design competition style alternative solutions.

4 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

Long ago, I used Rhino for several years and really enjoyed it.  I'm hoping to find some time to investigate these landscape add ons.

There seems to be great potential for it, especially the rapid development of schematic design and design competition style alternative solutions.

"Win" some time with Land Kit and its different parts (plants, pavements and earthworks....

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
On 9/28/2022 at 10:11 PM, jeff prince said:

BricsCAD (CAD, no landscape specific tools)

It has some growing DTM Tools which I find interesting.

But you are right, no typical landscape specific Tools like

Plant areas, plant libraries, irrigation, ....

Not even sure if these are available by 3rd party Plugins,

which usually cost more than Bricscad itself ....

(e.g. for MEP, concrete reinforcement and such things)

But I saw there came some new individual Landscape

(CAD) Apps that looked easy to use, capable and so on.

But I have forgotten their names and can't estimate

their qualities and restrictions.

• Like 1