Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Screenplane to Layerplane without change 2D symbols to 3D symbols

MarcelP102

When we use a script to move screenplane objects to layerplane all the 2D symbols turn into a 3D symbol. Because the objects are moved to the 3D part of the symbol.. Is there a script somewhere that changes screenplane to layerplane but keeps the symbol as a 2D symbol?

I've used this script:

PROCEDURE Objs2LayerPlane; { © Petri Sakkinen 2010 } 
{Modifed 2014, Ray Mullin, Pat Stanford to work with VW2015}

Procedure DoIt (H : Handle); 
Begin
	SetObjectVariableBoolean(H, 1160, FALSE);
End; 

Function ResetDef(H :Handle) :Boolean;
Begin
	ResetObject(H);
End;

BEGIN 
FOREACHOBJECT(DoIt, INSYMBOL & ALL);
ForEachObjectinList(ResetDef, 0, 0, FSymDef);
Sysbeep;
END; 
RUN(Objs2LayerPlane); 

Edited by MarcelP102

Even though Vectorworks deprecated the Screen Plane, it still uses it to determine which component of the symbol an object belongs to (either 2D or 3D).  This screwed up a major part of my workflow when converting 3D symbols to hybrid symbols, as I would have to enable the legacy feature just to move the 2D objects over to the 2D component, then disable the legacy feature.

The good thing for you is that this is a simple fix: just remove INSYMBOL from your criteria.  Even better, you will also no longer need the ForEachObjectInList call since you won't need to reset the symbol definitions.

Even though the Screen Plane is deprecated in the general sense, it is still absolutely necessary for Vectorworks to sort objects within a symbol.  And, knowing how this works behind the scenes, I very much doubt that this change.  I haven't yet had the opportunity to play with VW2023 (though I'm hoping I'll get time this afternoon), so I don't know if they fixed this.  In my email conversations with them, they talked about adding the Screen Plane back in only when working within 3D symbols and calling it something like "2D Component" so that you can force objects to the 2D component without enabling the legacy feature, but I don't know if the change was implemented.

I've attached the video that I sent to VW right after the 2022 release that demonstrates this.

• Like 1