I would like to know if it is possible to create a form of neon from the vision itself. When using neon in GDTF, the cylinder is partially illuminated instead of the entire cylinder. I need advice from people who know how to make it.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

One way you can do this is to model the cylinders in VW as plain cylinders. When you send this over to Vision, you can flag the cylinder as an RGB Emissive Mesh so that it acts as an RGB light (one that does not cast light but simply "glows" in the dark).

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.23.51 AM.png

If you set the candela high enough, it will trigger the Bloom effect in Vision giving it more of a "glow" that bleeds off of the object making it appear to emit light.

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.24.02 AM.png

Because this kind of mesh does not cast real light and merely glows, this is very friendly on performance while still providing the desired look.

Don't forget that you can leverage multiple selections in Vision to assign the Emissive properties to multiple cylinders at the same time. This will drastically cut down on the amount of clicks you need to make after sending the scene from VW to Vision.

It is not that I did not think of this method, but it is the same as the tube lights provided internally by Vision. And the line itself only has light, it doesn't affect the surrounding environment. I would appreciate it if you could guide me on how to do it if I want to get the effect of illuminating the surroundings when the neon is turned on.

Ahh, my apologies! I didn't realize you were aware of the RGB Meshes as a lot of users do not know they exist. Unfortunately, when it comes to casting light onto surfaces and/or having beams, Vision really only supports spotlights. What you're looking for is something more along the lines of a point light that can emit light in all directions. While we do not support this currently, it is something that has not really come up in the past. So, now that you've hit a use case we do not handle, I think we can investigate internally what it would take to handle implementing something like that. In the meantime, RGB Meshes may be your best bet.

Thank you also for your first reply 🙂 It was a light source that has not been developed yet. After researching the forums, more and more people are using light sources such as LED bulbs, tubes, and strips. It looks like an update is needed, is there any scheduled period? In the near future, besides fixtures, I would like to use such a small light source in a performance previs system as well.

I cannot provide an estimate on this feature as it is a company wide decision that requires collecting a lot of feedback and working with various departments within Vectorworks. But, we do greatly value your workflow and suggestions and I will be sure to bring this up in our future task and enhancement discussions!