2023 Benchmark Tool - How to display relative Elevations + NAVD88 Elevation?

maxstk

Question

So I've called VW help line twice now and it seems not even they know how to utilize this new tool? 

Basically, I want to display both the relative elevations of my slabs from grade (grade being 0') and I also want to show these elevations relative to sea level (grade is +9'). 

This functionality is shown in the youtube video below at around 1:30: 

Problem is, even if I follow this video exactly - by setting my custom elevation to 9' in the Elevation Benchmark Style, and then creating another text in the elevation benchmark layout and using the same dynamic text layout data as shown above. I am not getting the same result. 

I do not have an elevation that is relevant to my 9' elevation from sea. Best I can do is have 9' shown on every elevation (no addition or subtraction). 

Am I missing something? How can I get this to function? Do I need to input the sea level datum in another area of the project? Please no suggestions to write manually. 

Thanks in advance 

22 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
19 hours ago, maxstk said:

Problem is, even if I follow this video exactly - by setting my custom elevation to 9' in the Elevation Benchmark Style, and then creating another text in the elevation benchmark layout and using the same dynamic text layout data as shown above. I am not getting the same result. 

@maxstk Would you be able to share your Vectorworks file where you used the same dynamic text shown in the video and it's not working as it is in the video? I'd like to see how you have your custom elevation benchmark set up. I wouldn't be able to say if you've missed something or not without taking a closer look at your file. Thanks.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for responding. I've sent you my file. 

To give specifics of what I've done, see screenshots below:

So I duplicated an elevation benchmark and then edited the symbol > I duplicated the #Elev# and renamed it #ElevNAVD88#:
image.thumb.png.170c29a9b3cefb41f198ce19bab64184.png

Then I changed the dynamic text to the following (as per the VW video):

image.png.c5c2a991d3c511cdd1b6621785f21335.png

I also set the reference elevation to 9' per the video, but both my elevations remain the same (+125')?:

image.png.71974898a8a8346a586d463f6d79eebc.png

I assume my dynamic text must be wrong. Please advise and thank you in advance!

Kind regards, 

Max

image.png

image.png

Edited by maxstk

Sarah, thank you very much! This is exactly what I was trying to achieve. I also appreciate the video - makes things crystal clear. 

As for what may be helpful to include, I would suggest the very style that is in the feature video? It would be great to have that in the resource manager and I probably would've just used it in the first place (unless it is somewhere in there and I've completely missed it, in which case, my bad). 

Thanks again,

Max

• Like 1

As for the styles that are in the feature video, they were customized from the the existing styles in the default library. I think the library technically has all the different possible "dynamic texts" that you might want, but there is probably not a style that would match exactly what you need. It is a hard balance not to overload the default library with tons of styles but to make sure enough are there to help someone find something customizable. I am attaching a file with all of the elevation benchmarks used in the new feature video that weren't from the default library.

Elevation Benchmark Resources.vwx

• Like 3

The new Elevation Benchmark tool really needs to have an in-depth tutorial on how to use it; The short one released at release announcement is way too short, too fast, and too cursory to understand how to use the new tool. The short video from @sbarrett above is appreciated and starts to explain how it works, but for me at least it just scratches the surface.

It was one of the tools that I was looking forward to using in 2023, but since I can’t figure out how to make it do what I want I have held off on using 2023 for the time being. 

For example, I have struggled without success to simply modify one of the existing left-oriented EBM styles so that it is right-oriented. The text alignments keep breaking on me. I don’t understand how to properly set the Constrain Text from Boundary check-boxes.

Please release a Coffee Break length tutorial on the 2023 Elevation Benchmark tool in the Vw University.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 3

@Neil Barman thank you for your reply. I had read through the online Help File, but I’m still struggling with how to properly configure the EBM to do what I want.

On a related note: I understand that videos do take time to produce, so is there someplace we can request a topic for a future session of the Vw University Service Select ‘Coffee Break’ training webinars?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, rDesign said:

On a related note: I understand that videos do take time to produce, so is there someplace we can request a topic for a future session of the Vw University Service Select ‘Coffee Break’ training webinars?

I would recommend posting requests like that in the Wishlist section of the forum.

See below...

• Like 1
  • Administrator
16 hours ago, rDesign said:

You can use the Feedback option in the University under the profile menu to request tutorials and even Coffee Breaks - I'm adding the Benchmark Tool to our schedule.

thanks.

• Like 3

Hi, I share the sentiments of those above, a coffee break would be great!
For now, I've found the tool, dropped it onto my 2D plan on my design layer but all I can do is adjust the settings of what it looks like, how do I find the define elevation field?

I'm in Landmark so reference to ground planes and not just storeys of buildings would be great when you do the coffee break 🙂

• Like 2
On 10/24/2022 at 7:43 PM, Neil Barman said:

Just a reminder for anyone reading this thread, the online Help System for v2023 has information on the new Elevation Benchmark tool.

I realize that everyone loves videos, but they do take longer to produce than text-based instructions. In the meantime the text-based help is available from launch day.

The online help documentation doesn't seem to give us a full list or explanation of the various definition codes that we can use for "dynamic text" when making custom benchmark label layouts. We need this in order to get the most out of the tool.

I've just managed to create a (relatively) simple one for my own use but it involved me having to do quite a bit of reverse engineering (and general trial and error) from some of the standard styles and the code that can be seen in the video posted further up this thread.

(I wanted to set it so that positive elevations would have a + sign and negative values a - sign ... for the benefit of anyone else who happens on this, the code I used is below)

"+"@#Elevation Benchmark2#.#Elev#>=0:""""@#Elevation Benchmark2#.#Elev#<0:""#Elevation Benchmark2#.#Elev##custom#

• Like 4
6 hours ago, line-weight said:

That's great but do you think some of the missing information could be added to the online help documentation too? I think that would benefit a greater number of people, because then it's there and available for anyone at any time.

That's good feedback, @line-weight. Whenever you find a Help system page about which you'd like to provide feedback, there's a link at the bottom of the page where you can share your thoughts and suggestions:

image.png

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Neil Barman said:

That's good feedback, @line-weight. Whenever you find a Help system page about which you'd like to provide feedback, there's a link at the bottom of the page where you can share your thoughts and suggestions:

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind for the future.

But would probably be reluctant to spend much time explaining what's missing due to a fear that my feedback would simply disappear into a black hole, in the same manner as bug reports often do.

And having pointed out the missing information, on this thread, a month ago, I note that nothing seems to have happened in response in the meantime.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind for the future.

But would probably be reluctant to spend much time explaining what's missing due to a fear that my feedback would simply disappear into a black hole, in the same manner as bug reports often do.

And having pointed out the missing information, on this thread, a month ago, I note that nothing seems to have happened in response in the meantime.

Rest assured, feedback does make it to its intended team. I hope that the Help system feedback page and the Public Roadmap (along with its "submit your idea" form) show that Vectorworks is listening.

As a customer myself for almost 20 years before joining the company I have seen my feedback bring about enhancements to the software and related systems. Granted, it didn't happen the day after I submitted my feedback –as teams an individuals are constantly and continually working on existing projects– but I was patient and confident that it would be considered, and it was. I would encourage you to submit your feedback in order to help make Vectorworks better for everyone.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Neil Barman said:

Rest assured, feedback does make it to its intended team. I hope that the Help system feedback page and the Public Roadmap (along with its "submit your idea" form) show that Vectorworks is listening.

They show that they are asking, and maybe that they are listening.

But the next stage on from listening is acting. This thread was started in October last year, and has made it clear - I think - that the online help doesn't explain everything about this new tool. It's now January and as far as I can see, the online help has not been added to. It's great that there's going to be a Coffee Break session but the online documentation is much more important. There are other sections of the online help that don't fully explain certain tools, which I've pointed out many times, and it's the same story - nothing happens. Years go by and nothing happens.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, line-weight said:

They show that they are asking, and maybe that they are listening.

But the next stage on from listening is acting. This thread was started in October last year, and has made it clear - I think - that the online help doesn't explain everything about this new tool. It's now January and as far as I can see, the online help has not been added to. It's great that there's going to be a Coffee Break session but the online documentation is much more important. There are other sections of the online help that don't fully explain certain tools, which I've pointed out many times, and it's the same story - nothing happens. Years go by and nothing happens.

I’m sorry that you feel that way. Nevertheless, if you do feel that the Elevation Benchmark page (or any other topic) in the Help System should have more information I do encourage you to use the Help System’s feedback form.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Neil Barman said:

I do encourage you to use the Help System’s feedback form.

I encourage VW to provide confirmation (other than a form submitted notice on the webpage) that my feedback has been received.  Once that system has been put in place, I will be happy to provide feedback using the online forms.

See (and other threads on the forum):