renderworks anomolies

azizg

I've made the model below but I'm getting strange results from rendering when put in certain files. You can see the black speckly marks on the back of the screen on the right. I've tried changing the textures, I've tried no texture. I've tried re-modeling the affected area's, using different modeling techniques. I've tried using different lighting (more and less lights). The problem does not occur when viewed in the file the model was created in, only in certain files. Short of killing my computer does any one have any advice, because my laptop is about to learn to fly.

-

azizg, Hello, I am sorry I don't have anything to suggest regarding your problem but I was hoping you might tell me how you posted the image? I asked this question in tech support and Katie said I needed a website and to provide a link but you just did what I was actually refering to. No links and the graphic is right there with the text. How do you do this? Thanks.........bc

HI bc

Katie was right. You can't actualy embed an image into one of these message's. When you write a 'new topic' for the first time there are several buttons at the bottom of the screen, one of which say's 'image'. if you click on this it ask's you for a URL (web address), if you put in the URL to an image, that image appears as it does above.

So you need to put a picture on the internet and then right a link to it. That's the way I did it above. Good luck.

(I'd still like an answer to my first question if any one knows)

Azizg- GREAT MODELING! I wish I could tell you how to fix the irritating blemishes, but without having the file I have no idea. I assume the file is too large to send via email? If there's any way to send it, you should get it to NNA and let them have a look at it. Maybe they could download it from your site?

Peter

Azig,

Sometimes the black specs are from too many lights in the drawing, and sometimes it's a combinations of textures in the drawing itself.

If you email the file to us, we can determine which it may be.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello azizg:

Ray and Katie are right. However, I have seen this problem in other files, where a curved hole is cut into an expansive surface; the example I saw was a church ceiling that had tiny light fixtures cut into it. This may be fixed already in 11. Can you model the Apple logo as something besides a cutout?

Please send me the file and I can diagnose this further.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello again azizg:

From the file you sent me, it looks as if the model is too far from the center of the page. The laptop is about 400 meters from the page. The raytracing rendering mode has a tolerance to it that depends on the coordinates of everything in the model, including the origin, and I think this surface is too small relative to the large distances involved. I was able to render this correctly by creating a new file with a scale of 1:4 and pasting the laptop symbol into it. The raytracing tolerance is OK because the object is closer to the origin.