Parapet

TMM

You make a normal styled Wall with the parapet style for the lower height.

Then you set your Layer Cut Height to more than your parapet Wall height.

This way, in Top Plan View, you will look at your parapet wall from top while

your higher regular Walls become a Section-like appearance and show

all components.

Zoomer's suggestion is perfect for simple work and making sure plans look correct.

If you need them to show accurately in elevations and sections then I would model them. And depending on what material they are I would use different methods. Simple extrudes made into auto hybrid symbol. Extrude along path made into auto hybrid symbol, especially if the profile in section needs to convey a pressed aluminium capping. You can also use an additional wall object, which I use when I have a brick coping and want to apply a soldier course texture to it.

1 hour ago, TMM said:

Or do I make extrude a profile along a path, but how do I make that into a hybrid symbol? 

AEC > Create Auto Hybrid

Can you layer components of materials in the extruded volumn? All I can do right now is just assign a material without being able to manipulate its components. 

Also, is this level of detail in parapet possible to be achieved in vectorwork 3d modeling?

10 minutes ago, TMM said:

Can you layer components of materials in the extruded volumn? All I can do right now is just assign a material without being able to manipulate its components. 

Also, is this level of detail in parapet possible to be achieved in vectorwork 3d modeling?

In a regular extrude, you can have multiple "profile" objects with different attributes and these will be preserved in the 3d object that is produced.

However in a typical Vectorworks consistency the same is not true of an extrude-along-path (I think - someone might correct me).

So you have to extrude each component individually. And of course this is a pain if you want to retrospectively edit the "path" because you have to do so for each component.

As far as 3d modelling is concerned this is where you have a choice - yes in theory you can achieve that level of detail all in 3d (so you can cut your detail section through the model and not need to add anything), or you can model (for example) only the outermost layers in 3d (so it all looks right in elevation) but then add the internal sectional detail as 2d annotations, on the sectional details.

I would say it's a bit of an art, striking the right balance between stuff modelled in 3d and stuff added as 2d annotation.

Note that another option is to fully 3d-model the outermost components, then only 3d-model a strategic portion(s) of the internal components - basically, only where you are going to cut your section. In that case you could model the internal components as "regular" extrudes not EAPs.

6 hours ago, line-weight said:

In a regular extrude, you can have multiple "profile" objects with different attributes and these will be preserved in the 3d object that is produced.

However in a typical Vectorworks consistency the same is not true of an extrude-along-path (I think - someone might correct me).

So you have to extrude each component individually. And of course this is a pain if you want to retrospectively edit the "path" because you have to do so for each component.

As far as 3d modelling is concerned this is where you have a choice - yes in theory you can achieve that level of detail all in 3d (so you can cut your detail section through the model and not need to add anything), or you can model (for example) only the outermost layers in 3d (so it all looks right in elevation) but then add the internal sectional detail as 2d annotations, on the sectional details.

I would say it's a bit of an art, striking the right balance between stuff modelled in 3d and stuff added as 2d annotation.

Note that another option is to fully 3d-model the outermost components, then only 3d-model a strategic portion(s) of the internal components - basically, only where you are going to cut your section. In that case you could model the internal components as "regular" extrudes not EAPs.

That’s going to be way too detailed for anything other than a model for your own use.

8 hours ago, TMM said:

@jeff prince gives a good example in the post below of how you can use EAP to create complex assemblies of the type you're describing should you want/need to model it in that much detail:

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

@jeff prince gives a good example in the post below of how you can use EAP to create complex assemblies of the type you're describing should you want/need to model it in that much detail:

Ah yes I remember that. It's a good way of creating the multiple components relatively quickly. However it is still the case that later editing the path is tedious as you have to do it for each component individually.