Schedule of Values (Contractor Budget)

Has anyone used CSI Master Format keynotes throughout a set to then use that generate a comprehensive list of outline specifications in the CSI format to make a Schedule of Values and with quantities? This is the standard format for how all of our work is priced, and it's a manual process to go from the architecture side to the professional construction side of the business.  

I’ve used a similar method to getting where you want to be… I opted for the object and record based approach rather than notation.

I assigned records, which include the spec #, to objects.  Then used data tags to create a callout.  And finally running a report of all objects and their spec # to make a worksheet of that information.

I stopped short of integrating a database solution due to issues with 2019-20 in regards to outside connection to databases, but that’s really the secret sauce to automate the heck out of specs.

Years ago when I asked people here on the forum and tech staff at Vectorworks about specs, there was little interest or knowledge shared on integrations such as these… as if nobody understood the importance of them.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Scott Schwartz, AIA said:

@jeff prince Thanks the reply. This integration around the simplicity with specifications and construction SOV’s is a big deal to address, especially in the mid range boutique world of $5mil - $25mil projects. Specs and SOVs need to take minimal effort in this range, not a full-time staffer and CM like on a $200mil project. 

I fully agree.

The days of documentation and project manuals being separate should really be coming to an end.  That was one of the promises of BIM that has largely remained unfulfilled.

I seem to remember reading about a UK web based system had worked something up which I believe Vectorworks was trying or did integrate somehow.

CSI was working up something last I checked.

But these specification organizations and their allied professionals are not eager to see specs and such move into the hands of the design team, that's job deletion for them.  Perhaps it is one of the reasons that train has not yet left the station...

Fortunately for me as a landscape architect, the specs and pricing are fairly simple....on even the largest of jobs compared to what you building architects have to deal with.

Still, I wish Vectorworks expressed an understanding of how important this is and worked towards creating solutions.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

To keep things nice and tidy, and in an attempt to make it easier on the construction end; All of my classes are organized by CSI Masterformat.  Within the class, I add a very general description that I can call out via a custom data tag (usually for calling out a material type).  Likewise, all of my keynotes are organized by CSI, and I use these for very specific notes to call attention to (usually for calling out a supplier/or equal, or some other minimum criteria, or standard of quality or performance ).

156545081_ScreenShot2022-11-16at10_31_40AM.thumb.png.fb195d1955c7ee33639a248bbd7196ee.png896319196_ScreenShot2022-11-16at10_32_04AM.thumb.png.bde7690373bd81cc55862f8e0596bbde.png

896929211_ScreenShot2022-11-16at10_53_26AM.thumb.png.6ff10c7d552e2da8a1ac9ee19a458fa9.png

Edited by Ron Kwaske

Ron:

I like your system. Years ago I had wanted to use the software's database to be able to spit out my specs (mostly residential and smaller scale) but alas, got taken out at the knees by the 256 character limit of the database. Worksheets don't have that limit, so I've stuck to old school where I have no connection between the worksheet and the callout or even keynote. I can get the specs on sheets using one long ass worksheet and viewports to get them to fit the page. Not idea especially when the spec changes and you have to adjust the viewport. Would be nice to find a way to automate this instead of copying worksheets from old projects.

thoughts?

On 11/18/2022 at 12:57 PM, jnr said:

Ron:

I like your system. Years ago I had wanted to use the software's database to be able to spit out my specs (mostly residential and smaller scale) but alas, got taken out at the knees by the 256 character limit of the database. Worksheets don't have that limit, so I've stuck to old school where I have no connection between the worksheet and the callout or even keynote. I can get the specs on sheets using one long ass worksheet and viewports to get them to fit the page. Not idea especially when the spec changes and you have to adjust the viewport. Would be nice to find a way to automate this instead of copying worksheets from old projects.

thoughts?

I don't link my specs to my callouts- I use them for different purposes.  

- I use the description in the classes (organized by csi) for general material notes and call it out via a custom data tag

- I use keynotes organized by csi to provide detailed instruction usually in details and section views.

- Finally, I have my specs just as text in a library that I group by section. I manually place and modify them as necessary.   I have modified my spec format, still using a 3-part system, but streamlined attempting to make it easier to read.  Note that I do not do government work and I am very aware that on small, non-institutional projects, few actually read the specs cover to cover, so I do my best to keep it 'friendly.'

1599249290_ScreenShot2022-11-19at6_06_11PM.png.45fabfe10ca6d2c76ee31e19a5731b87.png

Edited by Ron Kwaske
  • Like 1