V2023 wall issue with windows/doors

fabrica

Question

getting consistent crashes when moving doors / windows around in walls with components with 2023.

- especially with duplicate copy of a door or changing window heights - will cause a crash

- changing a window height (if more than one window in wall) will result in windows disappearing in 3d view - but show fine in plan view.

below is sliding door at 2600mm high - changed to 2650mm high and both disappear in 3d. (all looks ok in 2d)

(on MacBook Pro 14", OS 12.6)

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 16.58.54.png

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 16.59.08.png

Screenshot 2022-09-20 at 16.59.13.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
15 hours ago, SGSF 42 said:

I'm having same problem - very frustrating!

Have to go back to VW2022 til this is sorted I'm afraid.

2 Dyke Road PROPOSED v2.vwx 12.45 MB · 0 downloads

@SGSF 42, From what I can see in your file, there is another wall overlapping the wall with the door in it.  Deleting the one without the door in it corrects the issue.  Let me know if there's something else in there I'm unaware of.

55 minutes ago, fabrica said:

@Matt Panzer as is typical I can't reproduce it at the moment !  It seems to only happen on the M1 and not the intel iMac , and a restart of vectorworks clears it.

Will send on once it happens again - (it doesn't happen everytime you change a window or door)

I'd be very surprised if it was due M1 specific but, in any case, let me know if you see it again and send the file.

3 hours ago, SGSF 42 said:

Hi Matt

No its definitely a wall issue. See the below 3 screen grabs showing shaded, hidden and wireframe...

Screenshot 2022-09-22 at 17.36.57.png

Screenshot 2022-09-22 at 17.37.10.png

Screenshot 2022-09-22 at 17.37.27.png

OK.  I see it now.  The file had the clip cube on and that part of the model was not showing.

I tried selecting the wall shown in the screenshot and used to "Move" command to move it by (0, 0) to trigger it to reset and the wall holes came back.  Can you try that to see if it corrects the issue for you?

1 hour ago, SGSF 42 said:

Yes - that workaround works. Thank you!

Will this bug be sorted at next service pack?

You're welcome!

Do you know of any way to reproduce this problem?  The trick to catching these kinds of bugs is to be able to come up with a series of steps that will cause the problem to happen.  If you know of a way to do this, please let me know.  I'll continue playing with your file and will let you know if I can make it happen.

3 hours ago, SGSF 42 said:

Yes - the file was created in VW22.

My concern was that this workaround needs to be carried out every time I open a previous VW22 file...

Well, if the problem actually happens durning forward translation to Vectorworks 2023 and we can reproduce the issue, we should be able to fix it.  Do you have a version of the file from version 2022 that you can send me?

7 minutes ago, fabrica said:

if any consolation - its hasn't happened to me since first post....

Thanks @fabrica.  Unfortunately, knowing it still can happen will eat at me because it's not good when it does happen.  There are a number of fixes in the pipe for future service pack that may eliminate the issue.  Being able to reproduce the issue will also allow us to see if those fixes prevent the issue as well. 🙂