Graphic Legend

BG

Question

Have installed VW2023 and was keen to try the new graphic legend. Immediately noticed that if the windows have a value specified in the 'Z Off:' field, then the automatic dimensions do not align with the windows by this amount.

Is there a setting to select that allows for this?

Graphic Legend.png

22 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@BG We think this is already fixed in the upcoming service pack, but it's hard to be sure that the bug we fixed is the same one you're seeing. Would you mind uploading a VWX file that shows an example of this, so we can make sure it's fixed? Thanks!

• Like 1
Just now, BG said:

Hi

Thanks for the file example. The dimensions seem to align okay with your doors & windows. We tried using the Windoor graphic legend so wonder if there might be an issue with that?

Maybe, in the initial versions of the graphical legend i reported a bug where the doors with different heights (not the size) would make the dimensions not align correctly, might be the same issue? But i always used the tool from VW not the windoor... so i cannot say for sure!

@BG this does look like it only happens with WinDoor objects and not with regular Window or Door objects. This is partially-fixed in the upcoming service pack but I'm still seeing the problem with some objects, so I'll log a bug report for it. Thanks for the info!

@FBernardo is the issue with your file that you can't get the images/text to align along the red lines?

1 minute ago, Tim C. said:

@BG this does look like it only happens with WinDoor objects and not with regular Window or Door objects. This is partially-fixed in the upcoming service pack but I'm still seeing the problem with some objects, so I'll log a bug report for it. Thanks for the info!

@FBernardo is the issue with your file that you can't get the images/text to align along the red lines?

Thanks Tim, much appreciated.

Brett

1 hour ago, Tim C. said:

Yes. 

And also if you look the bottom image is not aligned through the center of the doors (in one of the images) this seems to happen due to the fact that the door sizes differ, so the bottom image will have the center in a different position, where we can't align them, also the windows seem to not align centrally but hopefully is fixed in the new SP1 ?

@FBernardo the alignment of the images within a cell is based off the width of the image plus the dimensions. So if you have no dimensions the Window/Door images should all be centered in their cells, but when the dimensions are included it changes the centering (see below). We intentionally set it up this way based on input from users, but would appreciate your feedback. Does it seem like an option is needed to let you center on just the image while ignoring the dimensions?

image.png

For the door legends in your file, I'm also not having any luck getting things to align cleanly, so I'll put in a report for that. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Tim C. said:

@FBernardo the alignment of the images within a cell is based off of the image plus the dimensions. So if you have no dimensions the Window/Door images should all be centered in their cells here, but when the dimensions are included it changes the centering. We intentionally set it up this way based on feedback from users. Do you disagree with this approach? Does it seem like an option is needed to let you center on the just the image while ignoring the dimensions?

@Tim C.

I would say that the image here should be the aligned and the dimensions would align themselves per the image, because we can set the distances on the settings. I believe like that at least we know where we can organise to make it look good! 

SCR-20220923-q4t.thumb.png.7f011cdbcdb9bb583b6876538a42c560.png

For some reason some of the graphic legends don't align the same way even though they have the same settings, i've saved a different file with the changes to compare.

Graphical Legend Copy 2.vwx

• Like 2
On 9/24/2022 at 1:56 AM, Tim C. said:

@FBernardo the alignment of the images within a cell is based off the width of the image plus the dimensions. So if you have no dimensions the Window/Door images should all be centered in their cells, but when the dimensions are included it changes the centering (see below). We intentionally set it up this way based on input from users, but would appreciate your feedback. Does it seem like an option is needed to let you center on just the image while ignoring the dimensions?

image.png

For the door legends in your file, I'm also not having any luck getting things to align cleanly, so I'll put in a report for that. Thanks!

Hi Tim

To add my view. Yes, the elevation and plan images should align - ignoring the dimensions.

Thanks

Brett

• Like 2

Wow! Welcome to the Graphics Legend. Well done team!

I've just had a chance to play around with it and it looks super, customizable, intuitive, consistent...

It appears like the days of trying to list / scale images, plants, lights, symbols ... in a worksheet is going going gone.

@FBernardo after looking at this some more, you should be able to get the alignment you're looking for using this setup:

image.png

Note that only the top-most object in the Cell Layout has constraints enabled, and all of the objects have "Use auto constraints" disabled. This will give you this result:

image.png

Hope this helps!

@FBernardo here's some more info from one of the engineers on how the image alignment works:

“Note that if you need things to be aligned, you should avoid constraining them. The constraints in the GL layout are fixed distance constraints. They are useful if you want to maintain a fixed equal distance between objects. This isn't always compatible with keeping an alignment because some cells may have larger images than others.

In this example, the middle image is being constrained by a fixed distance to the top image and to the Text below. Because all the middle images aren't the same size, some are getting pushed to satisfy the fixed distance constraint.”

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Tim C. said:

@FBernardo here's some more info from one of the engineers on how the image alignment works:

“Note that if you need things to be aligned, you should avoid constraining them. The constraints in the GL layout are fixed distance constraints. They are useful if you want to maintain a fixed equal distance between objects. This isn't always compatible with keeping an alignment because some cells may have larger images than others.

In this example, the middle image is being constrained by a fixed distance to the top image and to the Text below. Because all the middle images aren't the same size, some are getting pushed to satisfy the fixed distance constraint.”

Hi Tim,

Thanks for this, I will give it a look, and test with one of my work files to see the results.

@Tim C. I love this new graphic legend tool, saves me so much time. But I'm struggling with the alignment between objects. I attach an example below. The images varies in size so I use auto align as I want some relations to be more constant. But I can't get the alignments to align as I want them. Is there a way to control what aligns to what? Currently the alignments seems unpredictable when having a couple of different objects in the cell.

image.thumb.png.f4ce98af22ce4aabd7922768a4948ed6.png

Resulting cell where text and image overlap:

image.png.987ddf3def4ca5ddde240467813ea591.png

@Anders Blomberg

Hi Anders, glad to hear that the tool is saving you time! The alignment can be a little tricky and we're actively working on making it more user-friendly. Would you mind sending me a copy of this VW file so we can give this a try? My first thought is that the "2D PLAN" Text object may need some constraint adjustments, but it's hard to tell for sure without seeing the file. Thanks!

• Like 1