Quicktime VR Object Size

Kevin

Is it possible to control the exported size of the VR Object under VW11? Or alternately control the image quality?

When I zoom in on the object in the exported Quicktime movie, the image becomes fuzzy. But without zooming, the object is so small that detail is hard to see.

Using OS10.2.8, VW & RW 11, rendered using final renderworks setting.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Kevin:

The movie is exported at the current window size, with the zoom determined by the selected objects' 3D bounding cube. It is a similar view you would get if you selected the object and chose the Fit To Objects button on the view bar.

To increase the resolution so that you can see the object better try exporting with the window larger, or if you can, set the monitor to a higher resolution when exporting.

Another thing you can do to zoom in closer to the model is to create 3D polygons with None fill and None for the line style. You can select these objects to zoom to but not have them render in the scene.

quote:

Another thing you can do to zoom in closer to the model is to create 3D polygons with None fill and None for the line style. You can select these objects to zoom to but not have them render in the scene.

Hi Dave,

Are you saying that if you zoom in to these objects, the remainder of the scene (which is now "outside" the screen) will still render and export?

N.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello propstuff:

What I mean is that if the QTVR is zoomed out more than you'd like with the selected object you can create and select a "fake" object instead just so the zoom isn't as much. If they have no fill and no line weight they won't actually render in your scene.

For example I did a movie of a submarine, and I wanted the view to be closer to it than when it was the selection, so I created some 3D polygons with no fill and no line weight, situated within the submarine and used those for the selection instead. Since they were smaller than the submarine the movie was zoomed in tighter.

[ 05-14-2004, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Dave Donley ]

Hi Dave,

I understand what you were doing, and why; my question refered to the original question on resolution.

For example;

Say I have a scene of a room that I want to export as a QTVR. If I set the view to encompass the room as per your

"To increase the resolution so that you can see the object better try exporting with the window larger, or if you can, set the monitor to a higher resolution when exporting."

the window and the screen resolution at max, but the VR export is too pixelated for my epicurian tastes;

If I use the "invisible poly" technique you describe to zoom in and therefore increase the resolution of the output, will the *entire room* still be exported to the VR or only the portion that is visible (as is the case with a conventional rendered output)?

I've never used QTVR, so perhaps I've got this all wrong?

• 8 months later...

Dave,

This thread is the only explanation I could find anywhere on how to make these work, so thanks for that. I would never have guessed on my own that an invisible 3D polygon was needed to be able to make a VR of the inside of a room. I tried a 3D vertex and other objects, but not a 3D poly till I read this.

A few thoughts. First, it's nice that this implementation can do both the outside and inside of objects. Other times I've used QTVR, it was only geared toward insides, with an orbit point in the middle of the room looking out. Your "camera" seems opposite, rotating around a center object. Gives flexibility, though it took awhile to catch onto the conceptual model.

What's not nice is the speed. It took forever to do a 36 frame 360? rotation of a bathroom. Something I noticed is that VW does that as all individual pictures. When I used DenebaCAD for QTVR's, it worked by rendering just a slice of the picture at a time. It'd draw a vertical slice of the screen, scroll right, draw another slice, scroll right, etc, until all done. That was a WHOLE LOT faster than all full-screen renderings. I could get smoother VR's in less time, be/c the gradations were a lot smaller. To get smoother VR's now, I'd have to do more frames which takes too much time. Is my description of that clear? Is there a technical reason why that approach wouldn't work here?