Vectorworks 2023 Crashed 2 times since I installed several hours ago.

rjtiedeman

Question

Vectorworks 2023 CRASHING on simple files. First time it when I was saving a document. The second time VW crashed when I was just building a simple 3D model and it froze.

I guess I will have to revert back to VW 2022. When will VW 2023 be safe to use?

iMac Pro running Mac OS 12.6 Monterey.

3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W

64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB

23 answers to this question

Amazingly enough,  for me 2023 has been more stable thus far than any release I've used since 2016.   And believe me,  I've been vocal about it.    I still have 2022 waiting in the wings if 2023 decides to start acting a fool though.    I'm a crazy self-sabotaging early adopter,   but the general consensus around here has been wait till SP2 or SP3 for each new release.

-W

• Like 1
On 9/19/2022 at 3:34 PM, Wesley Burrows said:

Amazingly enough,  for me 2023 has been more stable thus far than any release I've used since 2016.   And believe me,  I've been vocal about it.    I still have 2022 waiting in the wings if 2023 decides to start acting a fool though.    I'm a crazy self-sabotaging early adopter,   but the general consensus around here has been wait till SP2 or SP3 for each new release.

-W

I agree. VW22 crashes every time on my Zoom presentations on my IMac. I would not dare install VW23 till much later.

I just logged a crash report through the Customer Service portal - for a very specific situation. VW2023 crashes for me on Win10 when closing a document (not the application) after doing a DWG export. I haven't checked out all the variables, but it's been reproducible.

It actually just crashed in a similar way for me even after no DWG export...just after creating a new file from a template, messing around, and then closing the document without saving.

Try this workaround.

1. I was crashing when closing when VW23 was saving the document. I save first then quit and don't let VW update. Save yourself the loss.

2. Another other issue I have found is viewports don't update properly when textures are modified in the original object. Now I just delete the viewport and create a new one with the new colors and textures in place. Appears that viewports remember past iterations.

System is Mac OS 12.6 - iMac Pro.

Also have problems with crashing when just getting started, trying to save a new or old file, opening an existing file, etc. 

Have un-installed and Re-installed VW 2023

Did all windows 11 pro v.22H2  and Dell updates.

on a Dell XPS 15 9570, 32gb, I-78750h cpu@2.20GHZ with Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with MaxQ Design v517.00

Have submitted inquiry to Service Select tech support with no response yet.

Hoping someone can assist. Thanks in advance.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
13 hours ago, Lisar said:

Also have problems with crashing when just getting started, trying to save a new or old file, opening an existing file, etc. 

Have un-installed and Re-installed VW 2023

Did all windows 11 pro v.22H2  and Dell updates.

on a Dell XPS 15 9570, 32gb, I-78750h cpu@2.20GHZ with Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with MaxQ Design v517.00

Have submitted inquiry to Service Select tech support with no response yet.

Hoping someone can assist. Thanks in advance.

The following comes to mind for Windows users.  Can happen in Vectorworks 2022 and 2023:

Hello

I recently upgraded to VW 2023 and I have the same problem as @Lisar.
1- after installation there is a plugin error VGS_Directlink.vlb "Plugin are not compatible with current version of vectorworks"
Strange I suppose that it was installed by the vectorworks 2023 installation pack available on the website!

image.png.a2df1ef5769e3c376c68ee1f8be61583.png
2 - Asking to continue the VW opens but after +- 30 minutes of use it mysteriously disappears without a trace!! Sequential consequence blue screen of windows and system reset.

image.png.f7146997888fa1a8461fe8e9caabccc3.png

I have already performed the various operations left on the forum namely those posted by @Gunther but unfortunately without success.
I've already reported the problem to technical support but so far I haven't gotten a response that solves the problem (points 1 and 2).

Can someone help!

DELL XPS 15 9570

Processador Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz   2.21 GHz
RAM instalada 32,0 GB (31,7 GB utilizável)

NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti With Max-Q Design (controlador 12/10/2022

Edição Windows 11 Pro
Versão 22H2
Compilação do SO 22621.819

7 hours ago, DFlores said:

Hello

I recently upgraded to VW 2023 and I have the same problem as @Lisar.
1- after installation there is a plugin error VGS_Directlink.vlb "Plugin are not compatible with current version of vectorworks"
Strange I suppose that it was installed by the vectorworks 2023 installation pack available on the website!

image.png.a2df1ef5769e3c376c68ee1f8be61583.png
2 - Asking to continue the VW opens but after +- 30 minutes of use it mysteriously disappears without a trace!! Sequential consequence blue screen of windows and system reset.

image.png.f7146997888fa1a8461fe8e9caabccc3.png

I have already performed the various operations left on the forum namely those posted by @Gunther but unfortunately without success.
I've already reported the problem to technical support but so far I haven't gotten a response that solves the problem (points 1 and 2).

Can someone help!

DELL XPS 15 9570

Processador Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz   2.21 GHz
RAM instalada 32,0 GB (31,7 GB utilizável)

NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti With Max-Q Design (controlador 12/10/2022

Edição Windows 11 Pro
Versão 22H2
Compilação do SO 22621.819

Was the install you ran from a US download site or from a Distributor site?  Can you confirm this was an actual install and you didn't unzip or copy over the Vectorworks application from another machine?  I ask because, the 1st item you mentioned can happen if you don't actually run the full Vectorworks installer and you copy the Vectorworks application from one computer to another.  There are necessary system support files from Microsoft that are part of our Vectorworks installer.

-Try downloading the attached
-Unzip the file
-Inside the unzipped folder, right click, "DXSETUP.exe" and choose, "Run as administrator"
-After running the install, restart the computer and see if the plug-in message you see on launch is gone?
directx.zip

Thank you for your help.

The download was carried out through the Portugal customer portal.

Had installed an earlier version of the VW with no problems. To avoid possible conflicts, I removed all previous versions of the program.

The problem remains...

I tried to carry out the suggestion but an internal error occurs in the installation! Any other suggestions?

image.png.11e10a292b292aa666175bb35992ad4f.png

5 hours ago, DFlores said:

Thank you for your help.

The download was carried out through the Portugal customer portal.

Had installed an earlier version of the VW with no problems. To avoid possible conflicts, I removed all previous versions of the program.

The problem remains...

I tried to carry out the suggestion but an internal error occurs in the installation! Any other suggestions?

image.png.11e10a292b292aa666175bb35992ad4f.png

Interesting.  I just ran the DirectX install on a Win 11 Pro Lenovo laptop without any issue.  It seems there might be something preventing proper installation of 1 or more components on your computer.  Often antivirus software can prevent successful installs.  If you have antivirus software, could you possibly disable it momentarily or allow the necessary exceptions and try the DirectX and or Vectorworks install again? 

21 hours ago, cmisera said:

All was well until today when I opened a file and discovered that any other file has lost all their texture too. I tried to create a timber wall and it disappeared altogether. Anybody had these symptoms ? 

2095991301_Screenshot2022-11-21at16_29_19.thumb.png.6db57305e78bdb01b5c9b1dcbbe680a1.png

When you see this issue, are Renderworks render modes operational?  Mac or Win, assuming Vectorworks 2023?

DFlores and Gunther,

if you find the fix for the crashing and the blue screen, please share. I had a short session when all seemed to be in order then another random crash when trying to share a file on google meet. Then it just kept randomly crashing again on simple tasks. Wondering if I should do the service pack 1 update or if I’m going to need to reinstall everything.

On 11/27/2022 at 12:36 PM, Lisar said:

DFlores and Gunther,

if you find the fix for the crashing and the blue screen, please share. I had a short session when all seemed to be in order then another random crash when trying to share a file on google meet. Then it just kept randomly crashing again on simple tasks. Wondering if I should do the service pack 1 update or if I’m going to need to reinstall everything.

Reinstalling the NVIDIA video driver, by performing a customer install, then choosing the, 'clean installation' option seems to have helped Dflores with his blue screen encounter.  However, Vectorworks was still experiencing a crash, which seems related to generating or working with site model objects, still investigating.
NVIDIACleanInstall.jpg

• Like 1

Gunther,

Please explain what is meant by a 'customer install'.

Also is the below the driver you installed for the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max Q Design?

GeForce Game Ready Driver

Version:517.48  WHQL

Release Date:2022.9.27

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11

Language: English (US)

File Size:787.63 MB

I'm currently running NVIDIA Driver Version 31.0.15.1700, Driver Date: 8/2/2022, Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher.

Do I need to download and install the DirectX file you noted above as well.

Sure don't want to mess around with updates that aren't going to remedy the existing problems and/or create more.

Also have VW set to work solely with the NVIDIA driver.  Is that as it should be?

Thanks in advance

10 hours ago, Lisar said:

Gunther,

Please explain what is meant by a 'customer install'.

Also is the below the driver you installed for the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max Q Design?

GeForce Game Ready Driver

Version:517.48  WHQL

Release Date:2022.9.27

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 11

Language: English (US)

File Size:787.63 MB

I'm currently running NVIDIA Driver Version 31.0.15.1700, Driver Date: 8/2/2022, Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher.

Do I need to download and install the DirectX file you noted above as well.

Sure don't want to mess around with updates that aren't going to remedy the existing problems and/or create more.

Also have VW set to work solely with the NVIDIA driver.  Is that as it should be?

Thanks in advance

The request to have DFlores install the DirectX file I supplied, was only an attempt to correct the incompatible plug-in message seen on launch of Vectorworks 2023.  This is DirectX, as it relates to, "DirectX - Export Unreal Datasmith Support" inside Vectorworks.  For some reason, these files are not installing on DFores' computer.

In regards to the NVIDIA driver, the image I shared was to only show how to perform a clean driver install.  You can ignore the driver version in the image.   If you're having graphical issues or experiencing the blue screen in Vectorworks or outside of Vectorworks, it could be graphics card driver related?  If you were to download the latest driver from NVIDIA and install, during the process you are given the option for, "Express" or "Custom" install.  If you choose, "Custom" install, there is a checkbox for, "Perform a clean install".  This is the route I usually take, when updating/installing a NVIDIA driver.   Checking NVIDIA's site, it appears the most recent driver available for your video card, English US was released on 2022.11.16, version 526.98.