Ho can I stop lighting beams passing through opaque 3d objects and surfaces?

John Bishop

In Vectorworks 2023 Shaded views, the lighting beams of all the Spotlight Lighting Devices that I use light up the surfaces and 3d objects that they strike and correctly show the colour and gobo of the light beams on those surfaces, but also unrealistically pass through the surfaces and 3d objects and light up other surfaces and objects behind, under or beyond them.

What settings do I need to set so that light beams stop at objects that they hit, as in real life?

Many thanks,

John Bishop

John Bishop Lighting Design

Is it the beam of light or the lit fog? There is a bug with the lit fog not stopping at surfaces, but the light should cast shadows.

Make sure though that you have shadows checked in shaded mode options and also for good measure, make sure that receive shadows is checked in the background which is in the resource manager.

Edited by markdd
  • Like 2

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your very quick reply and advice.

I do have shadows checked in shaded mode options, but did not have "receive shadows" checked in the background.
I have checked "receive shadows" and there is no difference to the light beams.

It is definitely the light beam...

I have pointed a profile with a red gel and a "Las Vegas" gobo from a FOH position towards the top of the Prosc. Arch and the image of the red gobo goes through the Prosc. Arch and appears on the front surface of the 5 black masking borders hanging above the stage.

I've changed the render to fast renderworks (surely a misnomer!), preview spotlight, realistic spotlight and the result is always the same... the beam of light passes straight through what should be opaque surfaces.

Do you think there is a problem with the type of objects that the light beams are hitting and going through?
The Pros. Arch and borders are meshes with a solid black fill.
The stage floor is a Nurbs Surface with a solid dark blue fill.

They look opaque as I would expect in the shaded views.

But, the light beams just past through them all.

Thanks for your help and advice...

Have you any other ideas I could check please?

Screenshot attached!

John

John Bishop

Red light with gobo passing through proscenium and 5 borders - Screenshot 2022-09-17.png

Hello Mark,

I don't think that the masking has a texture - the borders are just Fill = Solid; Colour = a very dark shade of grey.

The Object Info/Shape for each of my borders states that they are a mesh, Width 21000mm, Depth 4000mm, Height 0mm

Material is not checked.
Object Info/Render Texture>Overall = None; Map Type = Plane;
Texture = None

What am I doing wrong?

John

John Bishop

• 7 months later...

Did you folks ever get this solved? I'm having the same problem in VWX 2023 - Spotlight. I have some custom decks drawn in, and all of my overhead lighting bleeds straight through the deck and lights up the area underneath. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @cglow the Lit Fog in Shaded mode does not receive shadows, this is a limitation of the implementation.  The lit fog background setting "Receive Shadows" should be on as well FYI.  Renderworks modes can show the lit fog correctly.  We are working on removing this limitation in a future major release.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 5/8/2023 at 5:05 PM, Dave Donley said:

Hello @cglow the Lit Fog in Shaded mode does not receive shadows, this is a limitation of the implementation.  The lit fog background setting "Receive Shadows" should be on as well FYI.  Renderworks modes can show the lit fog correctly.  We are working on removing this limitation in a future major release.

Vectorworks 2024 lifts this limitation, in Shaded render mode lit fog can show shadowed fog correctly.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2