Custom Door Hardware Textures

exhibita

I am setting up some common door hardware we use as 3D symbols so we can add them through the door preferences. I've added them to our Door Hardware Library file and I am able to add them to doors fine, but along the way they lose their texture associations. I see that the other symbols in the door library just use color as opposed to textures, which is fine for most of what we do, but is it possible to assign textures to door hardware symbols?

I've had similar problems with creating custom door leaves - glass and wood textures just fall away and I find myself adding custom elements to render doors properly. What am I doing wrong here?

You can definitely apply textures to hardware symbols, you just have to do it by class. I'm not sure if this is stated anywhere, I just discovered it when I realised if I assigned the textures by object or tried to use a Material it didn't work: it only worked if I assigned the textures by class.

Sounds like the same applies to custom door leaves but I can't say I've experienced it here because I use classes on them anyway so haven't had any issues.

Thanks for the reply. I am able to get texture via class, which is a big help.

I guess the challenge I'm having is there is no modifier for hardware class in the Door Settings and the symbol itself doesn't apply class settings to the 3D component. So the way I got this to work was by going into the 3D component of the symbol to assign the class, which means it applied the class texture to that symbol across the entire drawing. Is this how you do it? I guess this means if I need more than one finish on the same project, I need to make duplicate symbols for each finish?

8 minutes ago, exhibita said:

Thanks for the reply. I am able to get texture via class, which is a big help.

I guess the challenge I'm having is there is no modifier for hardware class in the Door Settings and the symbol itself doesn't apply class settings to the 3D component. So the way I got this to work was by going into the 3D component of the symbol to assign the class, which means it applied the class texture to that symbol across the entire drawing. Is this how you do it? I guess this means if I need more than one finish on the same project, I need to make duplicate symbols for each finish?

Yes correct. And the same applies to custom leaf symbols. So you end up with a door leaf whose classes are fixed within the symbol + can't really be changed + a PIO door frame whose classes you can edit, but probably wouldn't want to when you can't do the same with the leaf.

I'm quite happy having separate hardware symbols because im only really interested in one or two finishes, but I have many more custom leaves in order to cater for multiple finishes + combinations of finishes which is less satisfactory 

• 2 months later...

Hi all 

I am as well trying to apply a texture to a door frame. 

I get that I can do it by class. However I don't seem to get any class options, for doors and Windows. 

What am I missing here? 

526541710_Skrmbillede2022-12-09kl_15_39_53.thumb.png.e34eeb3a1663b29b4d4ac082f9217e73.png1259234949_Skrmbillede2022-12-09kl_15_39_59.thumb.png.612facfacb3e1d9a7d3c19291dc366cf.png

When I change the fill color my door frame changes color. But where do I apply textures? 

213223555_Skrmbillede2022-12-09kl_15_41_40.thumb.png.cf4dec5ac7b8cd4efbd588928764dc19.png

Best from Mathias