v2023 Workgroup Signals and Connectors Not Taking Priority

alexmootv

It seems that signals and connectors defined in a workgroup do not take priority over those defined in the application folder. It used to be that if I had a signal or connector named the same in a workgroup that it is in the application folder that signal or connector would get displayed twice. Once in the application section of the list and once in the workgroup section of the list. This was important for custom descriptions and similar grouping orders within the list.

Now since v2023, if there is a duplicate name it does not list it at all in the workgroup section at all for connectors and the signal dropdown menu for a Socket, mixes application folder signals in the list of Workgroup signals.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @alexmootv,

From VW 2023 we have decided that there is no point in having the same signal/connector twice in the list, as both entries should mean the same thing. So now only unique entries from WG and User folder will be visible in these categories. If you have entries in these files that are present in the App folder too, then the entry will remain in the app folder category and it will take only the different data from the duplicate. For example for signals you can have different default connector, prefix or preferred connectors/cable types.

Can you send me some more info about the different data that you have for the same signals or is it that you just want them to appear in the WG category?

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi @Nikolay Zhelyazkov,

Thank you for your reply. It is mainly that I want them to appear in the WG category. The reason for this is that while they may, on the surface, seem the same and duplicate. They actually are not. Where this begins to differ is things like capitalization and descriptions next to the signal name. I want to standardize designers on only using the signals out of the workgroup folder as those are the only ones that I maintain. So, it definitely happens where the entry is similar by name only, but different either due to capitalization or description, but it won't then display the one in the workgroup.

In addition, I would like to be able to tell designers going forward: "Only use the signal types allowed in the workgroup" as some of the signals locally defined by default, might mean the same thing, but not what the company has chosen to name them as on drawings. But I can't do that if duplicate named signals get removed from the workgroup. This way designers get a company defined list in the workgroup section of allowed signal types.

I hope to see the return of duplicate entries with my workgroup listing remaining fully intact as I had defined it to be.

Thanks so much,

Alex

Edited by alexmootv
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @alexmootv

We made this change because we also have other customers who want much more ready-made content, and others who find themselves collaborating with ConnectCAD users across the world. For all this to work we have to fix the meaning of our application-supplied signal and connector type codes, and the device content which uses these codes.

With Vectorwork 2023 we went thru the entire device database and signal and connector types making sure everything was consistent and removing duplicates. This allows us to move forward and expand the device database in an orderly way.

It is not our intention to restrict your ability to have your own company idiolect if you so choose, but you will have to use different type names. If capitalization is an issue and would be a help in expanding the namespace then we could look at relaxing that.

I think we have to see the wider goals here. In order to progress we have to make changes and some of those are going to negatively impact some people. In this case all I can do is to ask for your understanding.

Conrad

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Conrad,

Thanks for your reply. I guess what I am asking for is to just not delete my workgroup entry out of the workgroup section of the list. I understand the application folder needing to be a list you control. But, if I put an item in the workgroup I expect my entry to show up in the workgroup section of the list as well. The only other possible workaround I can think of is for us to delete the application folder file every time we install or update. This seems not ideal behavior when you could just list the workgroup entry in the workgroup section, not interfering with the application folder that you maintain at all.

Thanks so much,

Alex