BUG: Locked Objects are still able to be duplicated

Wesley Burrows

Question

Hi,   I tried filing a bug report for this maybe 6 weeks ago.   Never heard anything.    But if you make an object,   select it,    right click and choose lock.   (It should turn grey).   If you select the grey (locked) bounding box/object and option drag,   you can still duplicate it and move the duplicate.    If you command+D it will duplicate but you won't see it unless you have offset duplicates on.   The move tool will also duplicate the locked object.    If something is locked I would think none of the above should be possible.

This is particularly irritating if you have say a venue base plan that's locked and you inadvertently grab it and whatever item you're actually trying to duplicate.

This has behaved this way for a while,  all of 2022,  and still behaves this way in 2023.   Can anyone here lookup if the bug I submitted about it actually went anywhere?

• Like 2

6 answers to this question

Just now, Wesley Burrows said:

I have to assume this is sarcasm.

No, it’s not.

There are many circumstances where one locks an object to prevent movement, but may need to duplicate that object to add more features to the model.  You have to issue a duplication command, so it’s unlikely you will accidentally do so, but move via drag is easy to do… hence locking.

• Like 1

In most other software,  if you lock an object or a layer,  that means you can't interact with it period.   If you need to duplicate or interact with it you unlock it.   The entire of point of a locking something is to prevent access to it.   So,  to me,  it's either poor function naming or poor functionality.    It should be called "restrict" or something,   perhaps with assignable restrictions,  much like the cinema 4d protection tag,  cause it certainly isn't completely locked down.  

• Like 1