Drawing a curtain/backdrop without fullness

VenusD

Question

Hello!

I'm looking to insert a backdrop with no fullness, essentially creating a cyc upstage. Also, adding in legs and borders with no fullness, just flat velour. The curtain tool is very unhappy when I attempt to change pleats, etc. value to zero or even ".1"

What's the best way to do this? 

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, VenusD said:

Hello!

I'm looking to insert a backdrop with no fullness, essentially creating a cyc upstage. Also, adding in legs and borders with no fullness, just flat velour. The curtain tool is very unhappy when I attempt to change pleats, etc. value to zero or even ".1"

What's the best way to do this? 

Thanks!

Try clicking the Simple 2D & Simple 3D options in the PIO, pretty far down the way, I remember correctly.

Also, lol, I attempted to make a pleat of 0", no joy. Then I tried 0.0001. VWX 2023 has frozen. No skinny rainbow ball, nothing. Not even showing as "not responding" in th e Force Quit pane.

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 6.37.53 PM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes, Use the Simple 2D and Simple 3D options.
If you set the Pleat Width to a small number Vectorworks will draw a draw the curtain that way and creating millions of tiny folds.
Eventually it will draw but Vectorworks has to work on it for a long time. It doesn't hang or pop up the "not responding" message because it's working on drawing the curtain specified.

• Like 2

The SImple 2D and Simple 3D check boxes cover just about everything, however, they do sligthly diminish a little bit of useful 2D when using the Border option of the tool.

To avoid the redraw, enter a Pleat width of the same amount as the adjustable length, and a Pleat depth of say 1mm. That will give you a flat curtain almost instantly.

@klinzey@C. Andrew Dunning Perhaps the Simple 2D and Simple 3D checkboxes could be renamed "No fullness" as essentially this is what they do?

Edited by markdd