Device Records - Linking Description to a Worksheet

Kurt Lesh

Trying to link the device description from my schematic layer with a column on a worksheet but for the life of me cannot get it to work.

Im using the "Dev_Rec", "description info which is the same record the schematic layer is pulling the info from, but it doesn't populate anything. All other info in my worksheet is linking fine, so I expect my criteria is fine...

Am I missing something? Or is there a better way to do this?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Kurt Lesh,

Which version of VW are you using? The data is actually stored in the 'Device' record, so you should be able to access it from there. The 'dev_rec' record is just a helper record that is used to visualize the device record data in the device symbol.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hello @Kurt Lesh,

Take a look at the ConnectCAD->Documentation->Current Layer Device Report which creates a worksheet that reports on device data. Here is an example for the description only.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Dev Description WS.vwx

1 minute ago, Kurt Lesh said:

Ok so see whats happening - I am trying to link the description to the worksheet of cables, but because the description is different on each end, it doesn't know what to pull.

Is there a way to do a destination device description record? Or even a way I can just type something in that column?

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 7.20.59 AM.png

Okay now I get it too, you want this data in a cable report. Well, you can use the specialized circuit worksheet functions to get the value of attached record to its source or destination device: =OBJECTDATA('EVAL CIRCUIT DESTINATION DEVICE'; 'Device'; 'description')

This is for destination device, there is a similar one for source device. Note that based on your OS locale you might have to use commas instead of semicolons as your WS function parameter separators.

image.png

image.png

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Hello @Matt Strong,

On 12/10/2022 at 2:04 AM, Matt Strong said:

@Nikolay ZhelyazkovI'd like to use a similar function in the Data Manager to assign a user field of the source and destination devices to a record attached to my circuit, but so far it's not pulling any data. Is there something I'm missing here to get this information to populate on the record for the circuit?

1722786947_ScreenShot2022-12-09at5_03_51PM.thumb.png.8198d8055b40345fe8eff0e099ab9604.png

- This should be working fine, I have just tested this with Device Name and it worked in VW 2023. Here is the formula for device name for me:

=ObjectData('eval circuit destination device', 'Device', 'name')

Test if it is working for you and try to modify it to work with other parameters. If you still have issues with this, please send me a sample file showing the issues.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1