Existing Conditions Sketching

Not sure I understand the question. Sometimes I'll do something like the drawing on the right.

Sometimes I'll try and cram it in to a drawing like the left one. Why?

Because it's less work

Because all of the detail might not be that important

Because I reckon I'll be able to figure it out from photos when I get back to my desk rather than here in some dusty place with my fingers half frozen and the light fading.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, line-weight said:

Why?

Fair question. 

The only way to properly place one room in the correct relationship to another is thru the door opening.  I have found no other way to do this.

So the detail of the door opening (9"x8") clearly locks those two rooms together.

and there are two other rooms off that...so the 9x8 detail helps in locating 3 rooms at that end of the home. So it's important for that alone.

Exterior dims would have helped.

The marked-up print out could have been used for some over alls but once things get small then we should use some paper...

The issue is fitting in dimensions clearly for others to read.

Edited by digitalcarbon

This is a big issue for our daily work in Renovation projects. This is one advantage of point clouds. Everyone can access a single source of truth. But from point cloud to model or drawing is a big pain. We are testing Leicas BLk360 for the measuring of existing conditions and I have to say that measuring by “hand” feels somehow better because your already abstracting before drawing. This is the same issue I have with many model generated drawings. They are in most cases far less readable than conscious drawn ones and making them readable costs so much time. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Suuella said:

This is a big issue for our daily work in Renovation projects. This is one advantage of point clouds. Everyone can access a single source of truth. But from point cloud to model or drawing is a big pain. We are testing Leicas BLk360 for the measuring of existing conditions and I have to say that measuring by “hand” feels somehow better because your already abstracting before drawing. This is the same issue I have with many model generated drawings. They are in most cases far less readable than conscious drawn ones and making them readable costs so much time. 

yes exactly!

One reason I often prefer to do the survey myself rather than get it done by a third party.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
On 9/14/2022 at 8:58 AM, Suuella said:

making them readable costs so much time. 

I am flip flopping on this... I totally get it...I go on site, sit in a chair and sketch.  By end of day I have usable information (see below) & not a mass of fuzz...

However, every time I watch one of those point cloud scanner videos I think "I need one of those" 

I have gotten point clouds from others and I cannot get a clean section from them.  

311AECSectionWallNorthclean.jpg.ad5b14c8ab8bcf18e54a2f12186787d5.jpg

311BECDetailWindowclean.thumb.jpg.eb910d92525f8e83d2273d2594d5e310.jpg

On 9/14/2022 at 5:41 AM, line-weight said:

385382911_Screenshot2022-09-14at13_38_58.thumb.jpg.596f318829e8c3b9981ac0a2545f1062.jpg

This is typical for my survey notes. I measure & draw up myself so don't need to worry about anyone else understanding them and can use various shorthands.

Quite looking forward to the day a robot can do most of this for me though.

//insert sarcasm font//
Have you tried ChatGPT for this? I am sure it would solve all of your problems. 

Bart

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

For some things, especially outside of buildings I walk around with tape and laser, measuring distances, heigts and noting details (anomalies, faults, colours, textures, backsights/views to landscape features...) - entirely verbally into my phone, and transcribe it later. Hands free, no paper, minimal IT and maximum space for my eyes and mind.

• Like 3