Hex Color field for custom colors

Bill_Rios

Question

7 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, ThreeDot said:

In VW 2022 (and previous versions), the HEX color field is buried at least five clicks away. The interface between VW and macOS is slow, so those are five...very...slow...clicks. One click direct access is standard on all other graphic software I use (Adobe, Affinity, Sketch, Figma). I'm hoping that changes in VW 2023 allow for better access to colors.

I’m on a Mac and it is two clicks…

1. click on color swatch on attribute panel

2. click on standard color picker button, if you use a Mac the RGB slider card has everything you need and remains preselected after initial use.

I’m not feeling the hardship or speed issues mentioned, and I use the Affinity suite and Procreate.  How could it be any easier in a CAD application, where unlike an artistic graphics program, color picking is not the 1st priority…. Object and drawing management usually is?

I think Vectorworks could do a lot to improve creating and importing custom color pallets from other programs instead of the cumbersome methods used now.  We should be able to simply transfer our colors from photoshop, affinity, etc. directly into Vectorworks, quickly.

In Affinity I can select an object, directly adjust color sliders or paste a hex code, and see the results updated live. In VW I have to (1) click on the color swatch, (2) click to open the macOS color picker, (3) adjust sliders or paste hex code, (4) click OK to exit the picker and see the result. If I need to tweak the color, I have to repeat the process again. It can take four clicks—or forty clicks—to get the right color. That is way too cumbersome. I hope VW 2023 is better!

• Like 1

Another workflow option is to have a different application open with your color picker of choice, adjust the color as needed, then copy & paste the Hex# into VW.  I rarely have to adjust colors in VW, so this works for me.  I understand that if you're constantly fine tuning colors this might be more of an issue.

On 9/8/2022 at 10:48 AM, ThreeDot said:

In Affinity I can select an object, directly adjust color sliders or paste a hex code, and see the results updated live.

That's actually a very good point, it would be cool to have real time updating of an object's color as you modify the attribute.

I imagine the would be a heavy lift for the programers though given how Vectorworks assigns attributes to objects.

• Like 1