Hatches ? Textures

Travis

You can create a texture from an image, and you can export anything in VW as an image.

So here's what you do -

draw a rectangle or square with no fill for the line.

Fill it with whatever hatch you want to use.

Go to Export Image under the File>Export menu.

Select the Marquee method and marquee around your square wtih the hatch and save that.

Then go to the Resource Browser and create a new RW texture.

Under the first drop down box in the Edit Texture dialog box, select "Image". Filtered image will allow you to add color to it later ... Image color will only use whatever is in the image and cannot be changed colors later on.

Click OK and now you have a texture.

Apply this texture to the walls and you are all set.

I'm a little unsure where best to post this, so here goes:

It would be very helpful to be able apply a hatch to an elevation of a 3D item: say a brick or siding hatch to a house elevation so that it can be output with dim's, as a part of the build docs. I know I can convert the elevation to polygons and then apply hatches.

But is there not a way to use a hatch pattern as a texture, so I don't have to convert to 2D objects?

I can think of two possibilities:

1) Allowing a hybrid object to have a 2D element in two planes. Both 2D elements could then accept a hatch or other fill and be visible depending on the view. A programming impossibility?

2) A more likely solution possibly already exists: Import a VW hatch as a texture.

Can anyone steer me in a good direction?