Has anyone tried mimicking AutoCAD layering in VWs?

I have a client (government entity) who requires layer naming conventions for their projects. Obviously this convention was developed in AutoCAD and works easily for AutoCAD layer functionality. Unfortunately, AutoCAD doesn't use layers the same way as we do in VW's. We have classes, which I could rename according to my client convention but then still have VW layers to contend with. I suppose the entire drawing could be drawn on a single Layer with classes becoming the AutoCAD "layers". Has anyone else needed to do anything like this? Does it work or create unanticipated headaches? When I convert the VW file to a .dwg file, would my classes appear as AutoCAD layers with the naming conventions intact?

As long as you are using Vectorworks Design Layers to organize objects that are set to appropriate Classes, you should not have problems.  The whole "Classes are what an object is and Layers are where they exist" workflow.  Design layers for foundation, floorplan, roof, etc. can be irrelevant to AutoCAD and have their objects piled up into a single file or if you need to preserve that organization, you can export design layers as separate .dwg files.  Vectoworks Classes magically become AutoCAD Layers, unless you specify otherwise.

The challenge comes in when people draw everything on the "none" Class and organize their drawings by putting objects on Vectorworks Design Layers like Furniture, Walls, Doors, etc...  That's the "I've thrown out one of the most useful features of Vectorworks and made problems for myself" workflow.

That can make .dwg coordination a little more challenging, but not impossible with the right export settings 🙂

Edited by jeff prince

Design Layers are like AutoCAD files.  Think xRefs.  As Jeff says, think of Design Layers like sheets of a pad of tracing paper.  On one sheet is drawn the site, another the gird, another the plan or the building.

Classes are like pens, but carry information, i.e. the name of the object drawn.

• 3 weeks later...