Vectorworks 2022 - how do I get rid of this?

LinseyEvans

Question

8 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Linsey

Looking at the image, it looks like you've imported a DWG. My guess would be that you've used the wrong unit of measure on import (say, millimetres instead of metres) which has made the objects 1000x smaller than they really should be. So, that's the orange bounding box around things, but you are zoomed in very, very close.

Perhaps try the import again in a fresh file, and choose metres on the import dialog, and see if that solves it. Then metres in the DWG will be converted to metres in Vectorworks. I think they've been converted to millimetres...

Hi Tamsin

Yes, it is an import from a .dwg, but it's something I've been working on since and so importing it again would be an absolute pain.  The image shown is of the original import.  I've just opened another file and it's happening on that one too. If this is going to happen on all my existing plans, I can't start fiddling with them because the detail I've added just gets this orange madness.  Any ideas?

Hello BTW 🙂

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The orange is the usual selection highlighting you get when you select an object - that's why I think it's very, very zoomed in from the image you've posted. 

Have you measured something on the site to make sure it has come in the size you are expecting?

Probably best to send in to tech support if you can't resolve it.

Hi Tamsin

I have many problems with importing supplied .dwg files, the most common is that I don't know (and nobody seems to be able to tell me) what units have been used, or what scale the file is prepared in, or they were done years ago by a different company that no longer exists.  Also, they're often in very old versions of AutoCAD which makes a difference to how they import.  So, I get the person supplying to put on a scale bar and scale everything up to this size.  I can't remember what I did with this file, but it is certainly the correct size as I have checked the dimensions off the architects supplied drawings.

However, this doesn't happen on most of my projects as I get someone to do my surveys and he gives me a Vectorworks file which is imported in metres (because I know that's what he uses), then I change it to millimetres when I've imported it, and check the accuracy on the scale bar.  I'm getting this exact same problem on all my files.  I haven't checked whether I get it on a newly created file - which I'll do in a minute.

However, in the meantime, I'm going to revert back to 2021 - I just haven't got time to fiddle about trying to resolve it, I'm super busy and this is really slowing me down.  Also, this release seems a bit slower than 2021.  I have put in a support request and am waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks for your help.