Site Model Varying Component Thickness

Jack2022

Hi All,

this is similar to older posts I've raised but different as it refers to Site Models specifically.

Our required soil build us consist of 300mm topsoil over variable subsoil depths. Is there a way to represent this in site model components? 

The mound is on a roof so level bottom surface.

Image below. The site model 3D preview in the dialog box implies you can have a flat base and variable depth soil.

I want it to look like the 3D preview only be able to have the top 300mm as topsoil and the rest subsoil.

Thanks,

Jack

image.thumb.png.4a1cb431081a0560c3027fbb6d0136dd.png

image.png.c27741cfa6f9f4559d444e3420f8b382.png

I'd be interested to know this too. I had a quick play around, thinking that the tapered component settings were the way to go but couldn't get them to do anything. Then I saw in VW Help that 'site model components cannot be tapered'. Ok...

Also had a quick play with the Geological Survey Points settings as this seemed like a means of varying the thickness of components at specified points but I couldn't get them to work either for some reason...

Ah right. Thanks for trying. 

Ive found a poor way. It doesn't allow you to have a material for the subsoil - just the topsoil. But it does allow you to see the volume of the total soil (site model total) and the displacement by topsoil Screen shot below. So you can take the site model volume as subsoil. 

I did it by dropping a landscape area of a single topsoil component onto the site model. As we want two topsoil depths for our situation I just added another landscape area style with deeper topsoil onto both the site model and the first landscape area. the cut and fill added this in to the calculation.

I would be careful reading the volume off a landscape area though! The datum level vs min level and max level seems to be very inconsistent and gives varying volumes and skirt depths despite two different duplicate landscape areas having the same settings!

Ideally you would be able to specify the material for the site model fill but I can't find a way.

image.thumb.png.cddc66ff534d60c30bc35a064eca73e5.png

• Like 1