Aligning hatches (3d hidden line view)

HLJ

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows how I can align the hatches of horizontal timber cladding, as shown below?

I'm doing the model in 3D. If they were just 2D fills then local mapping would work, but since these are hatches applied to components of a wall I don't believe local mapping is an option.

1220784270_Screenshot2022-09-02at12_31_18.png.f8634332cd9d1c7e3711ee20f517863f.png

Thanks!

I'm having similar issues with my hatches aligning from floor to floor. Both from side to side and up/down. I tried the 'Use World Z Origin' but it didn't really align anything, just moved them all slightly. You can see this in both the Open GL and the hidden line render. 

I'm also having an issue with lines appearing where the walls from floor to floor or side to side still show. See attached pic with red arrows showing the issues. I have tried to make sure the walls are stacked properly but they may be .0083 off and I can't seam to make sure they are stacked perfectly. 

Any thoughts are appreciated. MISALIGN.jpg.b2b3e9ef4290185fd7077db5332c2490.jpg1089504552_RENDEREDMODEL.jpg.547046d5e78b190ef7424cd3377bad12.jpg

6 hours ago, Dan Menitoff said:

I have tried to make sure the walls are stacked properly but they may be .0083 off and I can't seam to make sure they are stacked perfectly. 

When you've corrected the alignment does this get rid of the lines between the Walls? Is there a reason why they're not correctly snapping to each other when you draw them initially? I agree that once you have a mis-aligned Wall it is not always easy to realign it as you have to click + drag on the centre of the wall rather than the edge. If I have a complex structure with multiple stacked walls of different thicknesses + nothing is orthogonal I am careful to draw some guides or place some loci before moving anything as it's very easy to muck it up...

In terms of the side to side alignment of textures/surface hatches have you tried the 'Offset H' parameter in the OIP?

I try to align my models with a snap grid plus use ridiculously high precision for my units. That way I can quickly see by the coordinates and rotation shown in the oip if things are even very slightly off grid or not the correct rotation. Also if they are out I can correct them via the oip rather than try and drag them into position.

8 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Is there a reason why they're not correctly snapping to each other when you draw them initially?

I don't think there is a reason. It seems like they do snap and I've tried different methods to align them. I either drag them from the center as you suggested or I'll move them totally off of the wall 'm trying to snap to, measure the distance back to the wall and move it back using that distance and it seems that they stack. 

As for the alignment, I know I can use the OIP to manually align but it gets tedious. I often wonder why some will align from layer to layer but many do not. I'm sure theres a setting I'm missing, 

Thanks for your thoughts, apricate it. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Boh said:

I try to align my models with a snap grid

Good idea - I have not tried this but will. 

Thanks!

Boh and Tom W. 

I tried all of your suggestions. Boh, I used the coordinate inputs in the OIP to make sure to the .000 that they were aligned. This worked so that I now know they are perfectly. I think this may be a bug. The walls that are the same wall style join successfully however the walls with different wall type do not. for example, on my model, the top and the balcony railing height wall components are different than the wall style in the typical 2x6 wall style I use. On the parapet and the balcony both side use plywood sheathing whereas the regular wall style has plywood sheathing outside and drywall components. This makes the wall thickness an 1/8" off. I don't know why this would matter because I'm still aligning the exterior faces so they are stacked perfectly to that outer face. This is probably TMI but I thought you both may be interested.....I'm going to contact VW support.  Thanks again!

• Like 1