Dimension tool

1 minute ago, E|FA said:

@Mark Aceto Why do you assign keyboard shortcuts through Mac System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts instead of the Workspace Editor?  Am I missing something?

They're persistent across all versions and workspaces. I also don't have to share a workstation. That said, I always check to ensure I'm not overriding an existing shortcut. Also, I believe the Workspace Editor limits the number of modifiers?

However... I'm in the process of creating an Everything Workspace, so I may revisit that... 

32 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

However... I'm in the process of creating an Everything Workspace, so I may revisit that... 

In case it helps, here's a diagram with what I've been able to figure out regarding Mac & VW reserved keys, with VW 2022 Architect-BIM workspace shown.  Hidden layers also have my current custom workspace (if you're interested) and miscellaneous VW icons which are also posted on another thread.

VW 2022 Keyboard.vwx

Edited by E|FA
purged attachment
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, E|FA said:

In case it helps, here's a diagram with what I've been able to figure out regarding Mac & VW reserved keys, with VW 2022 Architect-BIM workspace shown.  Hidden layers also have my current custom workspace (if you're interested) and miscellaneous VW icons which are also posted on another thread.

VW 2022 Keyboard.vwx 818.93 kB · 0 downloads

This is super helpful!

Much more detailed than my lazy attempt:

37 minutes ago, bob cleaver said:

the fn keys along the top can also be programmed using system preferences (soon to be system settings) 

You can assign fn keys to Tools in the Workspace Editor by entering the key, or F1, F2, etc.  Trying to assign to a Command results in an error (apparently it only "sees" the first letter of F1, F2, etc), so using Mac System Preferences looks like the way to accomplish that.  

1791166071_ScreenShot2022-09-01at3_12_07PM.jpg.53e71107747aafad10f6820a617eac63.jpg

I just did a test in System Preferences that fn keys (with or without command modifier) can be added as App Shortcuts.

1766281860_ScreenShot2022-09-01at4_08_30PM.thumb.jpg.2ff5a40f39531a0ada8c4b1bc2d45a5f.jpg

I'm guessing you could also accomplish this (and more) with a utility like Keyboard Maestro or Better Touch Tools (also part of Setapp).  These would be overkill for my purposes (I can't remember that many keyboard commands), but I've heard good things about both.

BTW, the "Save as PDF" shortcut in the screenshot is very useful in all apps.  Use Command-P to send to print, then immediately hit Command-P again to generate a PDF instead of hard copy.

Edited by E|FA
8 minutes ago, E|FA said:

I'm guessing you could also accomplish this (and more) with a utility like Keyboard Maestro or Better Touch Tools (also part of Setapp).  These would be overkill for my purposes (I can't remember that many keyboard commands), but I've heard good things about both.

One thing I'm learning from the numpad / macropod rabbit hole is that less is more. Getting important commands at my fingertip (ASDF) is huge. Everything else is starting to point toward a Streamdeck. I just wish they had a 5 high layout instead of 3 or 4 high.

I'm gonna bug the scriptlords about that Selection tool deselect everything script though... Man, I'm sicking of clicking on "not-this" and "not-that" and "esc-esc-X" just so I can press 4 on the numpad to get a side view. It's beyond clunky, and I'm over it.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

hm... wonder if it's because it's this cheapo satechi keyboard... 

Close... this thing has a half height function row, so I was pressing 5 instead of the tiny F5... like a dumba$$

Sidebar: the fact the Apple refuses to sell a black Magic Keyboard without numpad is the laziest criminal BS of all time (also discontinuing Airport wireless routers).

Side sidebar: I keep trying mechanical keyboards, and there's a lot to love about them, but I can type 10x faster, and more accurately, on these chiclets. I hate myself for it but it's true.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

I'm seriously thinking about getting a foot pedal to run a script that will activate the Selection Tool and deselect everything (including any fields in the OIP😞

https://www.x-keys-uk.com/collections/foot-pedals/products/x-keys-commercial-foot-pedal-black

Elgato has a triple pedal that i have been thinking about as well since i am already invested in a Stream Deck XL.  In for a penny...

• Like 1