Mesh Conversion and Facet generation density

The Hamma

Question

I have started to create some models for 3D printing and in most cases the "Very High" setting when converting to STL or Meshes is sufficent but in the case of a large rounded surface the facets are noticable in my prints.   I would like the option to increase the number of facets to above "Very High" in some cases.  Maybe a 3D Power Pack command.  

2 answers to this question

I think meshes are what the are, and are not really affected by these settings. NURBS based models are different as they enable you to calculate pretty much any mesh resolution / smoothness within a given surface, though in VW it means high, low, and medium rather than using numerical settings, and as a universal setting rather than an object specific setting.

The picture shows an example from another CAD program, where such settings exist, and where one side consists of 28800 quads and the other side of 81 quads, and I can individually change it back and forth at any time and when I need to. I personally find such settings invaluable. Technically, there is no reason why VW could not have it too, but there isn't.

669333156_Meshresolution.thumb.jpg.4352d48943baaa3d675d1f9a9ae5afac.jpg

I figured out that I can increase the number of facets in an STL export using the ExportSTL command. Per the command the percent of tessellation resolution should be a Real number between 0 and 100 but you can increase that number above 100 to increase the tenssellation.  

FUNCTION   ExportSTL ( filePath:DYNARRAY[] of CHAR;  exportBinary:BOOLEAN;  percentTess:REAL;  exportObjectsOptions:INTEGER) :BOOLEAN ;

percentTess = tessellation resolution -- from 0 to 100     0 -- low,     100 --high