Open GL Problem

Technoflash

Hi, I'm running VW 10.5 on a PC P3 830mHz with XP pro 256 megs RAM. I run two 21" monitors. Main screen uses an N'Vidia Ge Force4 MX 420 (64 megs ram) vid card and the second screen uses an N'Vidia RIVA TNT Model 64 (16megs Ram) I have installed the latest drivers from N'Vidia. Here's the problem. Whenever I try to render anything, the model goes black and no details can be seen (such as windows and doors). I usually get the following error message (but not always) "N'Vidia Open GL driver mismatch, exit is the only option" Then the program closes.

This is very irritating [smile] Anybody got any ideas?

Mike

I've solved it but I'm not happy. WinXP's OpenGL API can't accelerate two graphics cards at once (all you MAC guys can laugh now [big Grin] ). I've been running two monitors for years with no problems but of course my old CAD package didn't use Open GL. The "problem" only came to light once I starting using VW.

Grrrrrrrrr I hate computers!

Mike the monitorless [Frown]

I have a dual head matrox 450 which does not support open gl on two heads. Bummer. I spend a lot of time waiting for "fast renderworks" as it is the only way to render anything. On my xp machine at home with one monitor, Open gl works great. So, is the radeon 7500 the ticket? Do we know if it works with this crash-prone glitchy software?

Hi Jnr

I took Andy's advice and bought a Radeon card. I bought the 9200 as the 7500 is no longer available (although you can get them if a dealer has old stock). The 9200 has 128meg of ram so is a bit quicker than the 7500(64 meg). So far I've had no problems at all. (Thanks Andy)

"Crash prone, glitchy software" The sales guys never said anything about that "feature" when I purchased the product. [Wink] . However I do share your sentiments to some extent. I have considered giving my copy back to the dealer and invoking my 90 day money back gaurantee. However since I have installed the new card things have improved out of sight. I think most of the problems I was suffering were due to graphics problems caused by Windows not Vectorworks.

Having said that though, after 7 weeks of using VW I still haven't managed to produce a drawing that I can use or show a client. But then maybe I'm just stupid [Embarrassed]