System requirements/suggestions

AntoineDeHon

I am new to the Mac and Vectorworks so I need some advice for purchasing some new hardware to run RenderWorks...

I have a background in 3d Studio so I know the hardware needs for a PC is high and am curious if the same is true for this software and a Mac.

We are looking at a G5 - what specifications should we be looking at when purchasing? High clock speed? Ram? HD Space? Is Dual going to be worth the extra $$ or can we get away with the 1.85 ghz model?

thanks

antoine

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Antoine:

I am lucky in that I have a dual 2GHz G5 under my desk. It is very nice for RenderWorks!

Yesterday I had a conversation with another engineer here who got a single 1.8 GHz G5 instead of a dual machine and he said he notices a definite speed hit after switching from a dual 733MHz G4 machine. He said for example the Mail program shows a noticeable slow fade when switching apps and it didn't before on his old dual G4.

Although VW/RW doesn't take advantage of the second processor (it is not a multithreaded app), it may still be worthwhile if you switch apps a lot - you can start renderings and then switch to other things without slowing down.

Hard drive space shouldn't become a factor as they are plenty big now. I never expect to fill mine up even with many copies of the VW source code on it. I have been wasteful with my hard drive usage and I'm using about 50 GB. 1 GB of RAM will be plenty enough for VW use. While rendering I practically never use more than about 300 MB for VW/RW.

HTH,

Dave Donley

dave@nemetschek.net