Horizontal& Vertical surfaces/textures

holstarc

while trying to render a realistic wood floor texture i'm getting round scalloped shapes while standing back from the surface....If i'm close enough to the texture it will render properly, but as I pull back to get more of the scene or for an overall shot, the horizontal pattern turns all scalloped. now i'm assuming that this is from the lighting i'm using, since i've tried to create this texture a number of ways including building each induividual board of a wood floor.....anybody know what 's wrong with my lights....I've got sample images i can send, but it looks like i'm too dumb to post the images....i've been testing since my original post and I've tried a variety of lighting techniques as well as different texture reflectivities to no avail....

Thanks

Kevin

kvalk@holstarc.com

[ 10-29-2003, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: holstarc ]

without actually seeing the effect..............

It sounds like moir? patterns: the striped effect of the texture at an angle to the "striped" nature of the screen draw/ printer output causing interference patterns.

Try changing the scale of the texture and see if your scallops change accordingly.

??

cheers,

N.

Unfortunately Kevin I can't help you much,

I've just been struggling with this problem trying to make a "linished translucent plastic" texture.

Mine is the only linished translucent plastic I've seen with Small Pox :-(

Scaling textures so that they look good at a distance as well as in detail close-up seems to be a problem with RW (perhaps ALL rendering tools?). I'm beginning to think it might be necessary to make 2 different textures with different scales etc to cope with this.

Dave Donley do you have any thoughts here?

This sounds, indeed, as if it were the well-known moir? problem with brick textures, common to all rendering programs, as well as digital photography and imaging of various kinds. The problem is the result of the interaction between the "frequency" or resolution of the brick image, and the resolution of the monitor or output device, and occurs not only with brick patterns but with other repetitive high-frequency patterns as well. There's a great deal of discussion on this topic to be found on the web, including:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003zye

and

http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/DigPhotog/alias/

and

http://www.formz.com/forum/forum_archive/forumB/141.html#872166382-22815

The only solution is to alter the resolution of the image pattern (sometimes to a very great extent) or of the monitor or output device.

In my work I tend to create both high- and low-resolution textures in part because of this very problem.

Dan Jansenson

One more thing. Note that a moir? pattern that is visible on a monitor may not be visible when printed (and vice versa). So if you've been working hard to eliminate this interference in your images, it might be worth making a test print to see how it looks on paper before spending any more time on the problem.

Dan Jansenson

• 1 month later...

In 3D Studio Max there is an option to blur the image used as the texture. No option in VW for this, but the image could be blurred before importing (Photoshop or eq.). If you find the happy middle ground, you may be able to use one image with enough detail for closer renderings and enough blur for renderings farther away.

In 3D Studio Max there is an option to blur the image used as the texture. No option in VW for this, but the image could be blurred before importing (Photoshop or eq.). If you find the happy middle ground, you may be able to use one image with enough detail for closer renderings and enough blur for renderings farther away.