fix bugs in rw 10 before going onto rw 11

wpak

bara: i don't really have to list the bugs...they are described all over this forum. it is not just rw, but software in general. computer software is one of the few comsumer products which is sold knowing that it does not work properly. wouldn't it be neat to have something which works properly right out of the box and then we can just concentrate on producing good work. i don't want more, i just want better.

I tend to disagree: every consumer product is sold without working properly. If it worked properly, it would not break down and it wouldn't be a consumer product.

It is theoretically not feasable to produce bug-free software. Why would it then be possible to do it in reality?

Your post is clearly not about Renderworks. Why post it here?

Kind regards,

BaRa

bara: of course nothing in life is perfect, but like americans who thought that the chevys and fords they bought in the 60s were about as good as they could get (which we know weren't that good and full of bugs) it took the importation of japanese cars to make us realize that there is a better way to produce products and they raised the bar for the whole industry. if the japanese were into producing software, i would guess that they would not be satisfied with the bugs we seem to accept as normal. a recent article in the new york times demoaned the billions of dollars wasted in lost production because of buggy software. unless we demand better we won't get better.

OK,

I've got some boring chores to avoid, so I'll wade in here. ;-)

Yes:

the world is not perfect: faults are inevitable.

No:

Every consumer product is not sold on the understanding that it doesn't work properly.

Yes:

software is a highly complex bunch of interactions with many variables.

No:

it is not acceptable to us that "a small percentage" of passenger aeroplanes fall out of the sky because of a "bug" in the tail fin.

There is (in Australia anyway) a concept in law called "Merchantable quality" and it's friend "Fit for purpose" which state that if you sell someone a car (for instance) on the understanding that the wheels will stay on and the engine will go 'round (and not just "most of" the time) then you have a legal (and moral) obligation to provide just that.

The "unsafe at any speed" Corvair is a famous example.

Computers and software is the ONLY example I can think of where that legal obligation is for some reason suspended.

Personaly, I can understand people not doing what I want them to, but I DETEST machines that don't do what they're supposed to.

I would much prefer to have VW do "less", but do what it claims to be able to do EVERY time.

just my 2c

cheers,

N ;-D