glass rendering bugs

wpak

Sounds like the texture needs tweaking to get it just right.

Edit the texture and see how much the transparency slider is to the left or right when editing the selected transparency shader. For more transparency, slide the slider to the right.

Also see which shader is selected for transparency.

If you are getting fish-eye or distorted view behind the glass, make sure the bump shader is not set to any of the options. Also make sure you aren't using one of the stained glass glass textures.

it has nothing to do with the settings. the problems shows up out of the blue - you pick a window and stick it in one wall and it shows clear and take the exact same window and put it in another wall and it is not clear. the fish eye problem is the same thing - sometimes it shows up sometimes it doesn't. if it were simply the settings, i would have probably figured it out by now. thanks anyway.

Ditto Here. Win XP Home,VW 10.1, using the

"Glazing-1" class for the glazing on the

provided "Window" PIO (whether in a wall or not).

Sometimes it's clear and sometimes it's not

and it is hard to tell why. Doesn't seem to

matter (when in a wall) whether the window

is flipped in or out, or whether it is viewed

from one side or the other.

[ 10-07-2003, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Bob Harrington ]

katie and dave: thanks for your replies and concern. i have a flat panel imac running vw/rw 10.5 on osx10.2.8. no, i don't change the settings. it happens out of the blue. also, i have been ranting a bit this last week and i want to tell you two that i appreciate all the fires that you're always trying to put out.

BTW (having been looking over old glazing posts)

I'm not at all clear that this occasional

opacity is a bug -- more likely (in my case

at least) just something I haven't figured out

regarding styles, classes, activation, etc.

But, at least, the documentation seems a little

opaque. It seems the default for the Window

PIO is to utilze "container class". When I set

it into a grey wall -- the window, jambs, muntins,

glazing, etc. go grey. So then I edit the glazing

class in object info, and change it to "glazing-1"

Sometimes this makes the window glazing clear and

sometimes it doesn't. I think.

[ 10-07-2003, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Bob Harrington ]

When you place a window or door, you have class settings at the bottom of the OIP.

The Glazing has Glazing Style 1,2 and 3. The other options have style 1-15.

These are classes and the attribute you wish to be shown for that part of the window or door is assigned to the class.

Glazing Style 1 2 or 3 - whichever you choose will be set to a solid white fille depending on the version of VW you are using. Some have a none fill or some have a white fill.

Once you select the class for the door or window in the OIP next to glazing, you then need to go to the classes dialog box and assign the attribute here.

Most people choose none for the fill instead of using a glass texture to save on rendering time. Assigning a glass texture to this class if you have ALOT of windows and/or doors will take forever and a day to render.

The none does almost the same thing as a glass texture.

The other settings such as jamb, sill, trim, etc are style 1-15. As these are selected in the drawing, the matching class is created. You can then assign a wood texture to the Style 1 and have it set for the trim if you so desire. You can also just set a color to it. This step also needs to be done thru the classes dialog box such as with the glazing style mentioned above.

This is briefly described on page 5-29 and 5-30 in the Architect manual (VW 10)

Someone in our office was having this problem. It was occuring with a symbol containing only a window PIO, so it was not an effect of style or class settings, since some window symbols rendered correctly and some opaque. She eventually solved the problem by flipping each window. Weirdly, this caused a problem with adjacent windows which had previously rendered correctly becoming opaque. When she flipped those as well, it corrected the problem.

• 1 month later...

In one drawing only the "glass sliding doors" showed transparent. All the other "windows" and "french doors" showed solid. I had to replace all the windows with sliding dooors and adjust the settings to make them appear as the windows I wanted. They were all the same class and fill. I have tried setting the windows to be "no fill", but no luck. I have also set the wall to be "no fill" but this makes no difference.

Are there any absolute settings which have to be activated in order for the glass panes to show transparent?

The wall needs to be solid.

The window panes are controlled by the Glazing class box at the bottom of the OIP.

Select the window, scroll to the bottom of the OIP and click on the drop down next to Glazing. Set this to anything but None. If you have this set to none, the window pane will use the class attributes for the None class.

When you select one of the other options, such as glazing style 1, 2 or 3, a matching class will be created.

Go to the classes dialog box. Verify the Glazing class you selected in the OIP for Glazing is set to a None fill.

Make sure when the window is selected in the drawing, the window has a solid fill via the attribute palette.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello wpak:

Please send me a file that shows this problem, the next time you see it:

dave@nemetschek.net

It could be the refraction and point of view combine so that the window is not transparent. Or, it could be a bug that was fixed where flipped symbols in walls did not have the right shading (which would also affect the transparency).

If you do not need refraction (most windows don't), try creating a glazing texture from the Mirror reflectivity and Plain transparency shaders instead. Bump up the Mirror shader's Ambient and Diffuse parameters and bring down the Mirror parameter to like 10%. The Plain transparency shader can use the default values.

[ 11-10-2003, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Dave Donley ]

dave: i'm finished rendering for around 6 months until the next large project is scheduled to start. when i have the problem again i will send you the file. if you had an in-house architectural firm or something similar, you could look over their shoulders and see all the strange things that happen everyday.