Linking Custom Database to Parametric objects

Has anyone had any experience using the data manager and parametric objects like windows and doors?

The reason for the question is to link external databases that have information on doors and windows to parametric objects without having to create styles individually. Going to manufacturer to manufacturer and custom make parametric objects is unfortunately very tedious, and wanted to speed up the process. Like for example Marvin and Pella windows - vectorworks created a great catalog however some information and sizing is outdated (particularly product names) which makes me feel a bit wary of using them, therefore i end up creating my own when i have the time. However there are also some other companies like anderson, and even European windows like zola etc... that would still need some kind of integration on the users behalf. VW obviously doesn't have the resources to produce something like that, and I don't expect them to since the features they're working on i believe should be the priority.

With my recent discovery that ODBC can be referenced remotely, I have a renewed desire to link database libraries to parametric objects. How would one go about doing this?

Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts?