Kerb / Edging Tool

Jack2022

Question

For some reason this is the most basic requirement for landscape architects and garden designers yet there isn't a simple kerb or edging tool where you can dynamically extrude a profile along a 3D path. With components for haunches too! 

A bit like the Framing tool where you can use a symbol as the sectional profile and extend it as required. Framing tool is only for straight lines though and can only change its Z value as a pitch in degrees. 

Something that sits independent of roads or hardscapes and slabs as we usually don't want it linked to these as usually the kerb needs to respond to a variety of contextual objects. 

• Like 3

4 answers to this question

It is possible to draw edging using the hardscape, wall, EAP, or extrudes until a better tool comes along.

Sometimes there is a benefit for combining tools, such as the case when needing both horizontal and vertical components for different parts of the assembly.  Sometimes it's better to leave things in the 2D world and use textured modifiers to get things to stick to the site.  A detail can tell the story of how to build something significantly faster than modeling most linear features falling on a bumpy site.

I find it best to draw the shape in 2D and then use the "create objects from shapes" command.  I also keep my original 2D linework for performing calculations since it's more reliable for quantifying.

The deeper you dig into a BIM application, them more you will come to realize that you just have to model some things and attached data to them.

Waiting for these software companies to make tools that work according to industry is a trap.

Further, when you factor in how tools can sometimes be "improved" only to break your workflows developed around the old tool, you realize how modeling is usually the better option for any feature that is something other than vanilla.  Clearly there are some tools that work very well and they should used, but most landscape features do not fit cleanly into the rectilinear world most BIM software is most comfortable in.

Here are 5 edging features.  Two built with hardscapes in the boundary mode, two built with walls, and one built with solids.  What you need for a finished component will determine the best tool for the job, unfortunately.

1349435533_ScreenShot2022-08-26at16_58_35.thumb.png.7d1f8ea0b0c679b50a2445f15d9f24a0.png

1504109991_ScreenShot2022-08-26at17_11_49.thumb.png.405595953b3a8ee42d5716d216cc55c8.png

• Like 4
18 hours ago, jeff prince said:

It is possible to draw edging using the hardscape, wall, EAP, or extrudes until a better tool comes along.

Sometimes there is a benefit for combining tools, such as the case when needing both horizontal and vertical components for different parts of the assembly.  Sometimes it's better to leave things in the 2D world and use textured modifiers to get things to stick to the site.  A detail can tell the story of how to build something significantly faster than modeling most linear features falling on a bumpy site.

I find it best to draw the shape in 2D and then use the "create objects from shapes" command.  I also keep my original 2D linework for performing calculations since it's more reliable for quantifying.

The deeper you dig into a BIM application, them more you will come to realize that you just have to model some things and attached data to them.

Waiting for these software companies to make tools that work according to industry is a trap.

Further, when you factor in how tools can sometimes be "improved" only to break your workflows developed around the old tool, you realize how modeling is usually the better option for any feature that is something other than vanilla.  Clearly there are some tools that work very well and they should used, but most landscape features do not fit cleanly into the rectilinear world most BIM software is most comfortable in.

Here are 5 edging features.  Two built with hardscapes in the boundary mode, two built with walls, and one built with solids.  What you need for a finished component will determine the best tool for the job, unfortunately.

1349435533_ScreenShot2022-08-26at16_58_35.thumb.png.7d1f8ea0b0c679b50a2445f15d9f24a0.png

1504109991_ScreenShot2022-08-26at17_11_49.thumb.png.405595953b3a8ee42d5716d216cc55c8.png

I know it's a lot to ask... But would you be willing to share the file from the image that your shared? 

Really interesting to see how you assembled those objects. 

Hoping to count with your good will!! 

2 hours ago, jpccrodrigues said:

Hoping to count with your good will!! 

I can’t share the file, but the process is simple.  Make a hardscape style with your desired components. Set your hardscape tool to use the style/settings of the desired style.  Draw a polyline.  Use “create object from shapes”, and choose hardscape.

The steel edging in my example is just a boundary mode hardscape with a 1/4 width.  It works well enough.  Same strategy can be used for walls when you are interested in horizontally arranged components.

• Like 3