Text info from Space object to Worksheet cell

I'm trying to get text from the User Defined Info field (and some other info) for a specific room number into a Worksheet cell. I can accomplish this by generating a report, but I also want to make a small worksheet to display along with a smaller part of the floor plan (an apartment). I'm able to do this with areas but not with this type of text.

I'm not sure if this is impossible, if I just haven't found the right worksheet function, or if the syntax is wrong.

Any ideas of how to accomplish this?

worksheet.png

You SHOULD be able to do this using the Worksheet function OBJECTDATA('universal data'), but so far I have not been able to make it work.

But I think a Data Tag is actually a better option for this than a microworksheet as you can just attach it to the space and not have to manually enter the space number into each worksheet.

I have added a Data Tag that looks somewhat like the worksheet version in this file so you can have a starting point.

worksheet_testfile_Pat.vwx

The Data Tag method I have found adds extra steps, with the possibility for user error, I need hundreds of tags so this is an important concern. The table I want to create also shouldn't be linked to drawing objects like Data Tags are.

What I want to accomplish is also a bit more complex than shown in the example. I'm currently working on a housing project with over 100 apartments. For each apartment there will be a separate drawing, along with a table of areas and other information. The table needs to contain gross area, net area, balcony area, internal storage area, extrenal storage area, and some other information stored in the User Defined Info fields. The area part works but not the other information.

So far I also haven't been able to get OBJECTDATA (or other functions) to work.

I think I read somewhere that spreadsheet commands are now possible in Data Tags. This actually seems like a good option (with the apartment number as the link), but I still need to collect the User Defined Info from the Space object in some way.

Edited by JoarL

The Data Tag method I have found adds extra steps, with the possibility for user error, I need hundreds of tags so this is an important concern. The table I want to create also shouldn't be linked to drawing objects like Data Tags are.

So it is less error prone for you to have to type an identifier into hundreds of tags than to click on the correct object to link the tag?

You want to have hundreds of separate worksheets that have to be edited individually instead of a single data tag style? What happens when you have to change the label on a field from "extrenal storage area," to "external storage area" after you have created all of the worksheet labels?

Data tags can most definitely pull all of the information from the space object. And it can do far more. Glad to help you figure it out, but if you are fixed on using WS, then good luck.

Unfortunately, what I want to do is not as easy as adding a tag to an object. I need to pull information from multiple Space objects, across multiple floors (layers) of the building, and display the information in a table next to the drawing on a Sheet layer.

So far the only method I have found that mostly works is worksheets, do you have a suggestion for how this can be accomplished with Data Tags?

The multiple objects part is what you had not explained clearly before.

No, Data Tags are not going to work well in that case.

But unless you can accept the standard horizontal Database layout of the worksheet, neither is the worksheet option.

Perhaps you actually need a custom Plug-in Object or a script that will collect the information you need and put it into a text block.

If you are interested in something custom, let's take this to DMs and see what can happen.