Mass import VWX files

I'm Having a bit of an issue with importing dwg files as symbols as it does not do a few things i prefer like :

1. import folder structure the dwg subfolder directory

2. import / convert to group any elements that have record information (normally does not import record information as nested symbol)

3. name all symbols by record name (inside of symbol) rather than file name of dwg file.

I thought about going about it a little differently -

batch convert to vwx in place, and then reimport every vwx file as a symbol.

Another workaround can be convert bulk dwg files in place - but with every action save extents of imported layer as symbol

I feel like this can be done with the marionette tool - however i do not see any nodes for :

1. creating symbols

2. opening vwx files

3. converting design layer to symbol

Is this possible?

Basically No.

The internal VW scripting model only runs in a single file. This applies to Marionette, Vectorscript, and Python. That means that you can not start a script and have it open a different VW File and manipulate that file.

Long ago I wrote an AppleScript that took a folder of VW files and opened each one and then ran a Vectorscript to export each file to a DWG file.

Something similar could probably be done for your import thing, but since you are on Windows, you don't have the AppleScript option.

If this is a one time conversion project I might be able to help. If this is an ongoing need, then I don't have any other great ideas.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Basically No.

The internal VW scripting model only runs in a single file. This applies to Marionette, Vectorscript, and Python. That means that you can not start a script and have it open a different VW File and manipulate that file.

Long ago I wrote an AppleScript that took a folder of VW files and opened each one and then ran a Vectorscript to export each file to a DWG file.

Something similar could probably be done for your import thing, but since you are on Windows, you don't have the AppleScript option.

If this is a one time conversion project I might be able to help. If this is an ongoing need, then I don't have any other great ideas.

Thank you for your response regarding this matter! unfortunately yes this is ongoing. Ok, ill drop that idea, however i noticed that with import symbol (batch) - vectorworks can import dwg files by folder quite seamlessly, however there are still a few things i want it to do while it is importing which is -

batch import = > explode all symbols = > convert all lines to black = > proceed with import

42 minutes ago, Samuel Derenboim said:

batch import = > explode all symbols = > convert all lines to black = > proceed with import

Even that is going to be challenging depending on what you mean by "Proceed with import"

The batch import will bring in all of the DWG files at once. Then you could start a script that would select all the symbol instances and ungroup (explode) them. Have to think about how to deal with nested symbols. Probably best would be to just say that the script is going to explode all placed symbols in the file. Don't run it on a file that has symbols you don't want replaced. For "more" security, we could also only explode symbols on layers/classes that have a certain DWG import prefix on them. Do you want everything blown all the way out to lines, lines/polys/objects or would you still like to have the symbols still be groups?. Setting the attributes to Black and No Fill is easy.

Do you also want to delete the symbol definitions from the file after they are all exploded?

So what is this "Proceed with import"? 😉

@Pat Stanford

😂😅

Pardon my non specificity.

So this is the way i did it previously - import dwg batch - > in advance preferenced i was able to set all lines to black and white. What it doesnt do is import the dwg files into their respective folders.

Then another method came up - using import symbol (batch command)

image.png

It in turn created all subfolders in the directory!

image.png

what it doesn't have the option to do is convert lines to black and white as shown below

image.png.2fcec451c2fc8f188b8cde35b3140ad1.png

But most importantly, it eliminates the name of the detail, and detail no. of the mfg.

Now if i import the detail as a layer and not as a symbol - it provides all of the information that was in the record (see below)

image.png.325c8453b35ab209372db239cd5c27e7.png

My concern and original question is

1. How do i preserve the record information upon import as a 'symbol'

2. convert all lines to black and white

3. distribute all symbols in their respective sub-folders when importing from a directory with subfolders

Polylines, rectangles etc.. preferably shouldn't be exploded to retain hatches or fill. i only asked because if the symbol would be converted to group, the information would be retained. But that was a sort of convoluted way of going about it.

Edited by Samuel Derenboim

DM or post a few of the files for me to take a look at and I will see if I can find an "easy" way do do this.

What you would like to have happen is to import a DWG that contains "named blocks" (symbols) and convert them to VW symbols. The new VW symbols should end up in Folders in the Resource Manger with the same name as the location in the original DWG file. The Symbols should have the same name and attached data as the original block. The symbol should have the colors of all objects converted to Black line.

Hopefully these symbols are actually using Hatches so we can keep them. I have seen too many drawings where fills/hatches are actually individually drawn thick lines to simulate a fill.

Does the above sound about correct? If not, please elaborate on exactly what you would like to see.

You want each entire sheet as a single symbol?

What name would you like the symbol to have? I recommend using the Detail Number, but you tell me.

What do you mean by folders. Based on what you sent, everything ended up (using symbol import) in a Resource Folder named Modified Bitumen. I am guessing that you have other folders also that you would like to be able to bring in from different folders and use that folder name?

Just trying to wrap my head around the problem before jumping to a solution.

Each detail would be a separate symbol. (to me sheet does not mean sheet layers). If by sheet you mean what is in the design layer viewport - then yes.

Detail number for the detail works, but if it can be detail + drawing name (i.e. . But I will rename each symbol to be the detail name later if we cant do baseflashing for wall deck. etc... (like it is in the detail itself, that would be even better). But if you can't, it's not a big deal.

Yes, I think you summarized my intent correctly.

Modified Bitumin would be the parent folder if it only had symbols inside. Modified bitumin is part of an Asphaltic line of details, so it would be best to inherit the folders inside the base folder. I.e. Lets say Asphalt Details => Modified Bitumin => DWG symbols.

Thank you again!!!!!

Edited by Samuel Derenboim