Extrude along path

apswoodwork

Question

Hi.

Another beginners question.

I want to create a front frame to a unit with an internal chamfer.

I draw a front elevation rectangle,

extrude,

Draw another rectangle, extrude and clip the 2 surfaces to get a frame.

How do I chamfer the internal face of the frame, or have I gone about it all wrong??

Thanks,

Andy.

Screenshot 2022-08-22 at 12.01.19 pm.png

8 answers to this question

'Chamfer Edge' in the 3D Modelling Tool Set will apply an equal chamfer to the edges of 3D objects.

If you want an unequal chamfer you can then use the 'Taper Face' Tool to edit the chamfers one at a time to get the desired angle.

Or you could start again + use the Extrude Along Path command: in Top/Plan draw a profile representing the stile in section; use 'Extract Edge' to create a path object around the front edge of your unit (or just trace it by hand); select both + run the command. If the bottom rail is wider than the stiles/top rail you can use Push/Pull afterwards to get it the required width.

The EAP method obviously allows you to apply all manner of profiles to your frames, not just chamfers.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, apswoodwork said:

How do I push/pull without distorting?

There are two modes of the tool: Extrude Face + Move Face. Which one are you using?

637433798_Screenshot2022-08-22at14_16_17.png.f66ebaf372697ec00cc7f7e698938810.png

Move Face is probably the one you want to be using if you have a chamfer + want to extend it.

38 minutes ago, apswoodwork said:

I like the idea of EAPas I use different profiles, and I need to add and remove mid rails constantly.

When you perform solid operations like add/subtract solid etc the history of those operations is preserved, so when you do something like add a mid rail you can go back into the history of the object + find that mid rail + easily replace it with an alternative. So this is a facet of solid modelling you'd be worth familiarising yourself with if you haven't already.

Also, if this is your bread + butter you should check out InteriorCad which is a dedicated cabinet making module for VW which I haven't used but looks like the business for that kind of thing.

7 minutes ago, apswoodwork said:

Hi Tom

So the options both extend the chamfer along with the face, thus distorting the frame.

Also by adding a mid rail, the EAPO will only work along 1 path, so I end up with a chamfered opening and a square one.

I guess this is not possible. 

Thanks for trying though.

Screenshot 2022-08-22 at 2.52.01 pm.png

Screenshot 2022-08-22 at 2.55.51 pm.png

Screenshot 2022-08-22 at 2.56.24 pm.png

Screenshot 2022-08-22 at 2.58.02 pm.png

You can use Push/Pull in 1st mode to extrude the flat face then use 2nd mode to move the chamfered face. So do it in two operations.

Or what I do a lot of is switch to an orthogonal view, use Split Tool to chop the object in half, move one of the halves the required amount then run Add Solids to join the two halves back together again, then use push/pull on the back face to extend reshape it back to the original overall size.

Plus you can enter the history of the object + find the chamfer in question, remove it, extrude the face, then reapply the chamfer then exit the edit mode, but I think the other ways are quicker.

• Like 1